Friday 27 April 2012

#AtoZChallenge - BLOGGERS WERE CHILDREN TOO! - X marks the spot where you'll find Deniz Bevan (The Girdle of Melian)

Hello!

I'm using BLOGGERS WERE CHILDREN TOO! for my theme this year. I hope you're enjoying reading about bloggers, some you know and some you may not yet know, as they respond to some prompts I sent out. I've been so grateful for their responses as it helped me to get to know them better, admire their stunning cuteness as babes, and delighted me with random facts.



Yesterday was JJ from the now defunct Writers Block NZ.

Today I couldn't arrange an interview with Xena as Roland Yeomans had snaffled her for his X post. But I did manage to convince a sweet blogger friend to be my X!:

X marks the spot where you'll find Deniz Bevan, (The Girdle of Median)

B - Oguz Dayi and me.jpg
Deniz as a child with her great uncle 


I WAS BORN IN:  Istanbul, Turkey

I GREW UP IN: Well, my parents came over to Canada 
when I was a baby. We lived in London, Ontario and then 
moved to Montreal Quebec

MY FAVOURITE HOME WAS IN: Istanbul! My husband
 and I lived there for a year together, ten years ago. It was
 fun being a Canadian expat in the country I'd been born in

MY BEST CHILDHOOD MEMORY IS: Not exactly 
childhood, but I love looking back on my first visit to 
London when I was 17, with my father and sister. We were
 there for a week and we walked everywhere!

MY WORST CHILDHOOD MEMORY IS: Taking care of a 
kitten all summer at my grandmother's and then having to 
leave him behind in autumn, when I had to come home. 
That, or breaking my sister's baby teeth (by accident!)
 when I was much younger...

TODAY I LIVE IN: Montreal, in reality, and Wales, in my dreams!













I've recently returned to Romance after a foray
 into Young Adult  and Middle Grade novels. I'm 
currently querying my latest romance,
 Out of the Water, set in Spain and 
Turkey in 1492 and editing a second
 romance set in the same time frame,
 Rome, Rhymes and Risk.
 My non-fiction work, including
 both travel articles and book
 reviews, has most recently
 appeared in the trilingual newspaper
 Bizim Anadolu. Visit me at 


I hope you've enjoyed meeting 
with Deniz. Tomorrow my guest
is double whammy! You're going
 to be amazed as I couldn't resist 
interviewing two mighty bloggers - 
Lynda Young and the mysterious 
Lakota, Roland Yeomans. Will 
we see a childhood pic of our 
mystery man? Tune in tomorrow 
and all will be revealed...  


19 comments:

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

You were born in Istanbul? Wow! I've visited that place once. My stay wasn't nearly long enough. I'd love to return on day.

Theresa Milstein said...

X marks the spot--a new twist on X!

Glad to see Deniz here. I've never been to Wales, but would love to visit.

Denise Covey said...

Well Teresa I don't know any bloggers or blogs that start with X, do you?

Denise

Unknown said...

Really cool. I didn't know she lived in Canada.

Zan Marie said...

Yay! Deniz is wonderful and was one of my first buddies at Book and Writers Forum. She held my hand while I cut my teeth blogging, and she's a whiz at critiques. You couldn't come up with a better X, Denise. By the way, I found your blog through Deniz. ; )

Laura S. said...

Hello, Denise! Clever idea for an X post! Deniz is a world traveler and she must have lots of amazing things to write about. Thanks for sharing!

Have a lovely week and happy A to Z!!

J.L. Campbell said...

It's always so nice to find out more about other writers. I lift my hat to Deniz for writing a love story set that far back and in another culture too. Well done.

Ciara said...

I enjoyed getting to know Deniz better. I'd love to visit Montreal and Wales some day. :) Interesting that you left YA and MG to return to romance. It seems like everyone is headed the other way.

The Poet said...

Hello Deniz.
Nice to meet you. WoW! You're one busy lady. Good luck with everything. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Denise for another feature. I couldn't see the photo of Deniz with her great uncle...message said the webpage not available.

Jemi Fraser said...

I hadn't realized you were born in Istanbul, Deniz. That's so cool!! :)

Charmaine Clancy said...

Montreal sounds like a pretty nice reality :)

Golden Eagle said...

I want to visit Istanbul someday. It sounds like an amazing place! And so do Montreal and Wales, actually.


The Eagle's Aerial Perspective

Denise Covey said...

Me too! I haven't yet visited Turkey, but Montreal is on the list, hopefully next year. I've NEARLY been to Wales but didn't quite get to the border.

Denise

Denise Covey said...

Hi Andy. No one else has complained so I hope they are visible. I don't know why you can't read them. So annoying. D.

Denise Covey said...

I'm definitely going to see if I can twist Deniz' arm for a critique after learning this Zan. I wanted to get Deniz in here somewhere! Cool that I met you through Deniz. The blogosphere is wonderful. D.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Laura. Nice to see you! D.

Deniz Bevan said...

Aww, thanks so much for all the kind words everyone! It' been lovely to meet you all through blogging. Having a great time visiting the UK at the moment but I didn't bring my laptop and I'm suffering from blogging withdrawal! Can't wait to get back into commenting and keeping up with everyone's posts.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Denise and Deniz .. how wonderful to spend a year in Istanbul - must be so much fun .. with great memories.

Then London with your Dad and your sister .. yea it's easy to walk isn't it .. or hop a bus - I love those.

And Wales in your dreams .. Dragons and Fairies .. happy dreaming .. cheers Hilary

Deniz Bevan said...

Thanks for your lovely words, Hilary! Dragons and fairies indeed :-)