Monday 2 April 2012

#AtoZChallenge - BLOGGERS WERE CHILDREN TOO! - B is for BAMBREY, LAURA BAMBREY from DAILY DODO.



Hello!

Regular followers and visitors to this site will know I'm using BLOGGERS WERE CHILDREN TOO! for my theme this year. I hope you're enjoying reading about bloggers, some you know and some you may not yet know, as they respond to some prompts I sent out. I've been so grateful for their responses as it helped me to get to know them better, admire their stunning cuteness as babes, and delighted me with random facts.

Thank you Adult Bloggers for your heartfelt responses. Thank you readers for visiting my posts. I hope you'll leave a comment and if you'd like to follow the link to my respondents' blogs they'd be delighted to meet you.

Rock on A- Z Challenge. (Visit more posts here).


Yesterday was Ann Best...

Today:

B is for BAMBREY, LAURA BAMBREY from DAILY DODO

Laura in back with her little sister in front. Dressed in traditional
Welsh national dress.

I WAS BORN IN:  Poole, Dorset, UK.

I GREW UP IN: Mid-west Wales. We moved there when I was 3 years old to live on a dilapidated smallholding in the middle of nowhere. It was magical!


MY FAVOURITE HOME WAS IN: The one and only in Wales. We had so much space – I thought this was our god-given right as kids, but I’ve come to appreciate the freedom we had as I’ve got older.

MY BEST CHILDHOOD MEMORY IS: Sitting in our large hay-barn with the wind and rain howling outside. It was made from corrugated iron, so sounded fabulous – and made me feel so small.

MY WORST CHILDHOOD MEMORY IS: The dread of going to school when I was being bullied. I still remember the feeling. Desperate to run away but completely powerless to do so.

TODAY I LIVE IN: Ashburton, Devon, UK.

PROUDEST WRITER MOMENT: Winning my first ever actual THING with a poem – I won a voucher and bought a lamp with my prize money – which I broke within an hour of having it – thought my heart would break too.

RANDOM FACT ABOUT ME: If I had to choose between cheese or chocolate for the rest of my life – I’d choose cheese.

Catch Laura on her blog, Daily Dodo. You'll find some wonderful flash fiction and writerly advice.




I hope you enjoyed learning a little more about Laura. Call by tomorrow to hear about Canadian Cathy Olliffe-Webster's childhood. She's a real hoot! 




41 comments:

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

wow, your childhood home sounds like a wonderful place to grow up in. I can relate to the problem of bullies. Not fun. I have to disagree with you on the choc vs cheese. While it's a close battle, chocolate would win for me :)

Glynis Peters said...

Loved the post. Two beautiful places to live. Mmm, chocolate over cheese every time!

Theresa Milstein said...

I'm sorry you were bullied, Denise.

Denise Covey said...

Twasn't me who was bullied Theresa, but Laura. D.

The Hopeful Romantic said...

What a great idea for a theme Debise! And Laura...thank you for being so open!

The Hopeful Romantic said...

typo - Denise :)

The Hopeful Romantic said...

typo - Denise :)

T. Powell Coltrin said...

This is a great theme. Awesome stuff, Denise.

Teresa

Unknown said...

I'm really happy you're honoring bloggers in this way, Denise. I'm going to stop by her blog and follow her.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Like you, Laura, I was bullied all through my childhood at school. It was wonderful getting to know you better!

Charmaine Clancy said...

Great way to spend the A-Z Blog Challenge, we get to find new blogs along the way too! :)
Wagging Tales

L. Diane Wolfe said...

What a sweet way to feature other bloggers.

I would love to visit Wales. I've heard it's gorgeous.

Li said...

This is a great theme Denise - I'm fascinated by how others grew up and what they remember. And Laura's blog is entertaining!

N. R. Williams said...

Hi Denise
Oh how I loved the picture of Scotland. I can relate to being bullied.
Nancy

Tracy said...

Denise, what a great post and a lovely blog! It's fascinating learning about other's way of life.

Margo Kelly said...

Wonderful post! Very interesting. :)

And, sorry the award I gave you was a duplicate! BUST!

How about the:
ELECTROPOSITIVE AWARD? :)


If you'd like it - come snag it from me off my sidebar!

Have a great week!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Nice to learn these things about you. Too bad bullied kids can't fight back.

Kyra Lennon said...

What a wonderful idea for a theme! I love Laura's blog, and it was great to get to know more about her!

nutschell said...

What a great theme for your A-Z! Interesting to get to know all these other bloggers. :)
Great A-Z post!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Empty Nest Insider said...

It;s horrible that you were bullied Laura. I also love cheese and chocolate. Great theme Denise! Julie

Laura said...

Hi Denise - eek late to the party as always, but thanks so much for having me here! Am over excited right now as my book has just gone live on kindle!!! SQUEE!!!

Thanks everyone for your sweet comments - no, it wasn't fun, but it teaches you a lot.

By the way denise - the top photo is showing as an odd icon thingy!
Lxxx

Francine Howarth said...

Hi,

Well done Laura: book out on Kindle!

Boo hiss to bullies, may they rot in hell. ;

Great theme, D...

best
F

Beverly Diehl said...

Thanks you for sharing all about Laura Bambrey, who I do follow on her Daily Dodo blog. (Note: don't know if this is happening to everyone, but the first picture is not Laura and her sister via Google Chrome in the US. Unless Laura & her sister are blurry yellow and blue blocks.)

Wales sounds like a lovely place to grow up. Except for the bullying part. Even though most of us have these memories, I'm glad there's more awareness these days. Perhaps this will be the year it stops.

DEZMOND said...

oooh, how I love me Wales! Our fellow blogger and my dear L.G Smith from BARDS AND PROPHETS is currently there touring the UK and Wales :)

Kittie Howard said...

Great interview. I've always been in love with Wales. The affair started when I read How Green Was My Valley when in high school. Subsequent visits brightened the affair. Cathy's from a magical place.

Marta Szemik said...

Bullying breaks my heart. One of my kids was bullied, but thank goodness to the school's quick response it was all resolved and dealt with swiftly.

Anonymous said...

I would have loved to live in such a place with such a vast view of nature all around me. Wales. Land of dreams, land of poets. And the land where Laura grew up and now lives. I may have met her once on my blog cruises, but now I'm going to head over there now to really meet her! So glad she consented to be part of your awesome theme, Sis!
Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror & Other Memoirs

Denise Covey said...

What can I say about the picture? It is perfect on my blog so something strange has happened. I can't fix it when there's nothing wrong this end...oh blogger!!

Glad you're all enjoying reading about Laura.

Denise

Denise Covey said...

Can next commenter tell me if Laura's pic is okay on your computer?

Denise

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I can see the photo now! Came by earlier but had trouble pulling up everything. All good now.
Awesome to feature Laura!

Sarah Tokeley said...

Sadly I can't see the top picture either, but I loved the post.

Two beautiful places you've lived Laura!

Denise Covey said...

Looks like the problem is a blogger one. What can I say/do? Nothing more.
I removed and readded the photo. Sorry you can't see it as it is awesome.

Denise

J.L. Campbell said...

That first picture looks like something out of a book.

Dunno why, but when I think of Wales, I think of fairies and magic.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Denise, Hi Laura,


Laura is one of my FAVORITE bloggers buddies; she is such a honey.

Nice to read more about her.

Laura, I am so sorry that you were bullied. It is a terrible thing, especially in the Chicago Schools with gang wars and multiple killings. It's a sad world we live in when kids go to such extremes for attention.

Dawn Embers said...

Nice to meet you. I like the favorite childhood memory. The sound of rain and the location just sounds great.

:-)

Sarah Tokeley said...

Thanks for going to the effort to redo the picture Denise, I can see it now. It's so cute :-)

The Poet said...

Hello Denise & Laura.
Love the photos. Nice post.

Laura, congratulations on your Kindle release & all the best!

Day 2: Born To Love You

Anonymous said...

Great posts Denise.

Laura you live just down the road from me!

I can identify with your worst childhood memory. How fabulous winning a poetry competition!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Denise .. I can see Laura's daffodil in the top picture .. the Welsh countryside is beautiful, but then so is Ashburton with Dartmoor nearby ... I've been past numerous times ... I too would have cheese over chocolate ..

Great to read about Laura .. thanks - Hilary

dolorah said...

Hi Laura *waves* nice to read about your early life. Belated congrats on the poem THING win. Hopefully you still have the lamp . .

........dhole

Trisha said...

Laura is awesome!! Nice post :)