Monday 23 April 2012

#AtoZChallenge - BLOGGERS WERE CHILDREN TOO! - T is for Thoughts of Beauty in the Stillness of Dawn (poet Andy David)...And Thoughts about the new look Blogger!



Hello!

I'm using BLOGGERS WERE CHILDREN TOO! for my theme this year. I hope you're enjoying reading about bloggers, some you know and some you may not yet know, as they respond to some prompts I sent out. 

Before we get started today, a few words about Blogger and what I've found. I've seen many comments on the changes so this is my take so far:

  • Even though blogger moved you to a new interface, you can 'revert to the old blogger' by clicking a button when you find it. I've done it several times and now am happily using the old interface as I can never find easily where to 'edit posts'. I think blogger will let us keep using the old interface, just the way you can keep using the old templates if you want.
  • When blogger gets around to changing your blog main page, don't panic. Just go into Design, Template Designer, choose a Template, then Adjust Widths and columns and eventually you'll have your old look back. But you'll have to add your skin again probably.
  • Those who've chosen to use Google+ as their link are missing out on visits. I use my phone more and more to comment on blogs. I can't navigate (or I'm not willing to waste my time) around Google+ on my phone. It's hard enough to find your blog link on Google+ on the computer. I toyed with this but quickly went back to the blogger profile.
  • And those hideous Captcha Codes! Forget about comments, especially when I'm using my phone. Do check in Settings, Comments, and turn Word Verification off if you want comments as some bloggers said they never added them, google did.
Enough tech talk. How are you going with it all? 

Rock on A- Z Challenge and my childhood bloggers.

On the weekend we had Madeleine Maddocks from Scribble and Edit.

Today:

T is for Thoughts of  Beauty in the Stillness of Dawn






I WAS BORN IN:  Port Of Spain, Trinidad

I GREW UP INTrinidad and the USA

MY FAVOURITE HOME WAS INTrinidad




I enjoyed the Trinidad and Tobago Carnival when it came around each year. Calypso (recently Soca too), costumes, stickfighting and limbo competitions. Carnival was created when the indentured laborers and slaves who saw the French celebrating in costume and mimicked them while combining aspects from their own cultures (predominantly African). (Wikipedia)


MY BEST CHILDHOOD MEMORY ISBeing told old time stories by my dad before he passed away. 

MY WORST CHILDHOOD MEMORY ISWhen I fell off a bike and ended up with a lump in my head

TODAY I LIVE IN: Pennsylvania, USA

PROUDEST WRITER MOMENT: My first blog post on 28th January 2011

RANDOM FACT ABOUT ME:I love to sing and dance

Andy says: 'Even though every form of life will eventually experience death's cold embrace, love's beauty remains the only thing that cannot die at the doorsteps of death...'

I hope you've enjoyed learning a few things about Andy today. Want to read his beautiful poetry? Go here...Andy dreams of publishing an anthology of his poetry one day...

Thanks Andy. I hope many of my followers will discover your honey-scented words. Tomorrow we will be visiting with Jen Daiker from Unedited. Be sure to stop by!



33 comments:

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

wow, what a great place to grow up in!

The first thing I did when I noticed blogger changed over to the new interface was change it back, lol.

Nick Wilford said...

I didn't know Andy, I'll check out his blog. Interesting to read about the origins of Carnival and I like his last quote too. I fell off my bike too and took a lump out of my arm, scar to prove it!

Adura Ojo said...

A beautiful feature - Denise. It's nice to know more about Andy - a great blogger and one of the loveliest people I've ever met online.

Trinidad - what a beautiful place to grow up in, Andy. So inspiring too. I often see and feel that exoticism in your poetry. Keep it coming, my friend!

Ciara said...

Love the vibrant colors. Sounds like a beautiful place to grow up.

Zan Marie said...

Andy,
I love Caribbean islands! Thanks for sharing.

Kittie Howard said...

Andy's a beautiful blogger, as beautiful as his native Trinidad.

Nate Wilson said...

I've worked with a couple Trinidadians, and love the culture. And I agree... love will triumph over death every time.

Francine Howarth said...

Hi Handsome,

Where's your babby pic? ;)

Lovely place! I soooo love white sand...

best
F

Francine Howarth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

Lovely post. That pic of the ocean almost makes me cry! It's nice to get up close and personal with other bloggers.

The Poet said...

Hello everyone.
I am honored and humbled to be featured among the elite (smile).

To Lynda: Thanks Lynda. I don't like the new interface either. Even my savvy Wife/Assistant is having a hard time navigating around everything.

To Nick: Nice to meet you Nick. Thanks for taking the time to stop by my blog. I'll be around soon to visit and return the kindness.

To Adura: Yes, Trinidad was my home until I moved to the US in my teens. Thank you for the kind sentiments. They mean a lot to me.

To Ciara: Yes, never a dull moment in the Islands and of course Carnival is something which must be experienced first hand.

To Zan Marie: I do too. Thank you.

To Kittie: Hello Miss Kitty. Long time no see (smile). Thank you for your kindness. I enjoyed your feature too.

To Nate: Nice to meet you Nate. I appreciate the comment.

To Francine: My beautiful Francine, if you ever get the chance, you should go to Trinidad. It's a beautiful, colorful place. I believe we have the best beaches, but then again, I'm probably biased (LOL). I left Trinidad more than 30 years ago and sadly, I don't have any baby pictures or any from my younger days. Shall I tell you a secret...I was as handsome then as I am now (laugh). Thank you as always for your kindness.

To Wendy: Nice to meet you Wendy. That ocean picture is something isn't it? I agree with everything you said. If it wasn't for blogging, I would never have come to know my Australian girl Denise.

My beautiful Denise, thank you for this wonderful feature. I admire you greatly and am touched by your kindness. You'll always be my one and only Australian girl! (smile) Many thanks again. ♥♥♥

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Andy, you grew up in such a colorful place. I would say exotic, but to you, it is just home, right? After Trinidad, Pennsylvania must seem a bit odd, right?

I hate this new Blooger interface, Denise. Blogger hasn't been allowing me to comment these past few times. Cross your fingers now! Roland

The Poet said...

My friend Roland,
When I came to America, I first lived in New York. As a young teenager never having flown before or lived anywhere else but Trinidad, New York was a complete culture shock and an experience and a half, not to mention COLD! If it wasn't for the fact that I didn't have any money left for a return ticket, I would have gone back to Trinidad! (LOL)
Thanks for commenting. I truly appreciate it.

Theresa Milstein said...

Those photos give me thoughts of beauty. Nice to learn about Andy.

J.L. Campbell said...

Wonderful quote there from David. I didn't realize he was originally from the Caribbean. I thought maybe India or Pakistan. Dunny why.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Denise and Andy .. I don't know Andy .. I must get across soon to say hi ..

Interesting to read about a new A - Zer .. thanks so much .. cheers Hilary

The Poet said...

Hello Theresa: Nice to meet you. Thanks for taking the time to read my feature.

Hello Joy: Laughing...it's ok...you wouldn't be the first to think so. As well as India & Pakistan, some people have even thought I am Spanish! I am an Indian born in Trinidad. Thanks for stopping by.

Hello Hilary: Nice to meet you. I appreciate your visit here today.

Denise Covey said...

I'm out of bed now and pleased to see the blogosphere has been busy.

Well Andy, you're capturing hearts, you swooner. Thanks for getting in and meeting your commenters. I hope many come across and indulge in your beautiful poetry.

Denise

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Trinidad looks festive!
I switched to the new interface last year. Took a while to get used to it but I like the posting feature better.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. I'd love to visit one day. Nice meeting you, Andy.

Paula Martin said...

I've never been to the Caribbean, Andy, but it's on my list of places to visit before I die. Lovely to meet you here.

Botanist said...

Trinidad looks beautiful, and you guys know how to party!

Denise, thanks for the Blogger tips. I tried the new interface ages ago and instantly switched back. I'm dreading what Blogger might do of its own accord to my blog one day :(

Unknown said...

I hope you are able to publish your anthology someday. What a beautiful place you came from.

The Poet said...

My dear Denise,
It's because of you why I am here and why I have revealed a lot more about myself than I usually do. Thank you for being so kind to me and encouraging me to challenge myself. You will always have my respect and admiration and never forget, you are my Australian girl (smile).

I see the reply button is back...it wasn't here when I was commenting earlier.

The Poet said...

Hello Alex.
Trinidad is indeed festive. Carnival is the second biggest event besides Rio.

The new interface has me stumped. My Assistant told me earlier that even though we can switch back to the older one, Blogger will be doing away with it soon.

The Poet said...

Hello Medeia.
I have dear Denise to thank for these photos. I hope you do get to visit...it would be a trip you wouldn't forget. Nice to meet you.

The Poet said...

Hello Paula.
I hope you get to visit Trinidad. It's a very exotic place and always sunny and hot.
Nice to see you again. I really enjoyed your feature too from a few days ago. See you in May for RFW.

The Poet said...

Hello Botanist.
You speak the truth indeed. Trinidadians really do know how to party! (LOL) I have outgrown that now and lead a much quieter lifestyle with my wife and my poetry.

My wife read somewhere earlier today that even though we can switch back to the old interface, Blogger is going to get rid of it soon. Just remember to backup your blog (something I need to do myself) just in case.
Thanks for stopping by.

The Poet said...

Hello Clarissa.
I'm holding firm to my dreams of becoming published. Thank you for your kindness.

Denise Covey said...

I hope your other girl is wrong, Andy. I'm relying on Blogger to leave we Luddites to the old interface which just reminds me of Google+, which it is, of course.

Denise

Oh, and I revert back to pop up window when I first post (when I remember) as some of my commenters complain they can't comment once I use this embedded below post feature. I like to please when I can but I love this Reply button. However, unlike Disqus which I previously used until it went crazy when blogger changed my blog, it doesn't allow us to put most recent post first - yet. But blogger is a great copy artist, so I'm thinking that they'll add that soon.

D.

Denise Covey said...

Andy with poetry of yours you must publish. D.

The Poet said...

Smiling...dear Denise, everyone keeps telling me so. I'll admit I'm nervous, but it's top of my "to-do" list.
Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. ♥

dolorah said...

Hi Andy; sorry I'm visiting late.

Trinidad looks intriguing; exotic actually. I can see how it could inspire a poet. I hope you are getting lots of opportunities for singing and dancing now; must be why your blog party was so much fun. Maybe next time you'll Karoke for us :)

.........dhole