Tuesday 24 April 2012

#AtoZChallenge - BLOGGERS WERE CHILDREN TOO! - U is Unedited (Jen Daiker)



Hello!

Regular followers and visitors to this site will know I'm using BLOGGERS WERE CHILDREN TOO! for my theme this year. I hope you're enjoying reading about bloggers, some you know and some you may not yet know, as they respond to some prompts I sent out.


Yesterday was the delightful Andy David, poet.

Seeing today's childhood post is so short compared to most of the previous posts, I'm going to share something else special with you. Jen's post cuts across our Anzac Day (April 25), which is our celebration of the mateship between Australian and New Zealand troops in WW1, especially at Gallipoli and the Western Front. I'm sharing more on my W day when I have a NZ childhood blogger post.

The ladies at home baked what became known as Anzac Biscuits and sent them overseas to our troops. Why these biscuits? They had nutritional value, they had keeping power and became synonymous with home love. Today I share one of the many recipes for these tasty biscuits which Aussies still bake and enjoy today.

A delicious combination of butter, oats, golden syrup and coconut, it's no wonder these biscuits are an Aussie classic! Go  here to learn more of the history of the Anzac Biscuit.

Note the Digger's slouch hat behind the bikkies. Photo from today's Australian newspaper.

Anzac Biscuits

Makes

24

Ingredients

  • 1 cup plain flour
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup desiccated coconut
  • 3/4 cup caster sugar
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
  • 125g butter
  • 2 tablespoons golden syrup
  • 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • 1 tablespoon boiling water

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Sift flour into a bowl. Add oats, coconut, sugar and lemon rind. Stir to combine. Make a well in centre.
  2. Place butter and golden syrup in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high (100%) for 30 seconds or until butter has melted. Stir to combine. Combine bicarbonate of soda and boiling water in a bowl. Add to butter mixture. Stir to combine. Add to flour mixture. Stir to combine.
  3. Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls. Place balls, 3cm apart, slightly flattened, on prepared trays. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, swapping trays halfway during cooking, or until golden. Stand on trays for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve.

Today:

U is for Unedited (Jen Daiker)

I WAS BORN IN:  Katy, Texas, USA

I GREW UP IN: Monroe, Iowa & Des Moines, Iowa

MY FAVOURITE HOME WAS IN: Des Moines, across from the Elementary School

MY BEST CHILDHOOD MEMORY IS: Playing make-believe with my sisters

MY WORST CHILDHOOD MEMORY IS: I choose not to remember those.

TODAY I LIVE IN: Houston, Texas

PROUDEST WRITER MOMENT: Every time I have a new idea.

RANDOM FACT ABOUT ME: I don't eat condiments.


About Jen:

Hi, I'm Jen from Unedited and would love if you stopped by for a visit! I write in several different genres but my newest releases are chick lit, titled, Snowbanked, Latte Love, andWhen Love Aligns. Stop by SMP to check out my novels!

I hope you enjoyed this tiny peek into Jen's early life. Tune in tomorrow for Lisa Vogt.




21 comments:

Charmaine Clancy said...

Great writers blogs here to visit. You're doing so well Denise, hard to keep momentum with this challenge.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Anzac biscuits are my husband's favourite!!
And yay to Jen! I love her proudest writer's moment.

Kyra Lennon said...

I still think this is one of the best A-Z ideas ever! It's fun learning about everyone!

Anonymous said...

I hardly ever bake but they sound yummy!
I love that random fact, very random.

Theresa Milstein said...

She doesn't eat condiments. Hmm.

Love seeing Jen here! Hi, Jen!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Jen doesn't eat condiments? That makes for a plain burger.

Trisha said...

Anzac biccies are the BEST!

My mama makes amazing anzacs :)

Unknown said...

Pickles and onions for my burger! :D

Thanks for having me! Too much fun and what a brilliant idea for the challenge!

PK HREZO said...

*highfive for Jen* of whom I've had the pleasure of meeting in person.. and she is just as cute in real life. Wow, I can't imagine life without ketchup...lol.

Zan Marie said...

I pause in memory of the ANZAC boys and all who have died in this world's wars.

Thanks for a good memory to go with the sad ones of history, Denise.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Denise and Jen - loved the Anzac biscuits - I hadn't realised there was history involved .. interesting to know.

I couldn't imagine life without salt and pepper - in my book they're condiments .. but each to his own .. Jen do you have condiments in food if they're part and parcel of the dish?

Cheers Hilary

Roland D. Yeomans said...

You have me curious as to how Anzac biscuits taste. And leave it to Jen, a woman whose blog picture sports sunglasses, to remain a lady of mystery! A Texas gal who doesn't eat condiments. Jen, you are unique! Roland

The Poet said...

Hello Jen.
Nice to meet you. I had a quick browse of your blog, but I'll return again later.

Never heard of Anzac biscuits, but anything with butter and coconut in it has to be a winner in my book. Thanks for another wonderful post Denise.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the recipe. I'll try it someday.

J.L. Campbell said...

That was quick round-up on Jen. I'll pop over for a visit.
The biscuits look delicious.

Kittie Howard said...

The Anzac biscuit has come full circle - there was a lot about the history and much of what was in your link in the book I mentioned I read. The book's humor about the cookie also gave a reader a bit of a relief from God-awful Galillopi. When hub and I lived in Macedonia, we drove there. Like many battles, the battle was actually some miles elsewhere, with Galillopi being the closest place with a population at that time, if I remember correctly.

I don't eat catsup (too much sugar in it), don't eat mayo (yuck!), but loooove a tangy mustard.

dolorah said...

Hi Jen :)

Intriguing about the biscuits Denise. I'll be back to learn more. I don't cook/bake but you can send me some, lol.

......dhole

Denise Covey said...

Just you look out or I may. Really help with the writing stamina! D.

Denise Covey said...

Gallipoli was certainly a trial by fire and the Anzac biscuit would have been most welcome. They'll always be special to us. D.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Andy. D.

Glynis Peters said...

Loved reading this post. Anzac biscuits and Jen!

Thanks for sharing, Denise.