Friday 6 April 2012

#AtoZChallenge - BLOGGERS WERE CHILDREN TOO! - F is for Francine (Romancing the Blog) Howarth


Hello! Happy Easter everyone!

Regular followers and visitors to this site will know I'm using BLOGGERS WERE CHILDREN TOO! for my theme this year. I hope you're enjoying reading about bloggers, some you know and some you may not yet know, as they respond to some prompts I sent out. I've been so grateful for their responses as it helped me to get to know them better, admire their stunning cuteness as babes, and delighted me with random facts.

Thank you Adult Bloggers for your heartfelt responses. Thank you readers for visiting my posts. I hope you'll leave a comment and if you'd like to follow the link to my respondents' blogs they'd be delighted to meet you.

Rock on A- Z Challenge. (Visit more posts here).


Yesterday was the delightful Sarah Pearson...

Today:

F is for Francine Howarth (Romancing the Blog)




Francine Howarth age 3 yrs


I WAS BORN IN:  the smallest city in England, UK. It’s a relatively famous Medieval/Georgian town, which oozes history and myth. So what’s its name? WELLS! The title speaks for itself, as in water abounds.



I used to regularly walk the cloisters


As a kid and adult I fed the swans!

Wells is famed for its Cathedral, Bishop’s Palace with moat, beautiful medieval and Georgian buildings, and swans trained to ring a bell when in need of food. Hence the pictures depict the cathedral, the palace moat, the swans and the town square.



The square, the archway, the cathedral and palace moat feature in my historical novel "Infamous Rival".

I GREW UP In Wells: loved the place, loved my home county of Somerset, in particular Exmoor and Lorna Doone country, but ended up living in many places thereafter: Oxford Cotswolds, Wiltshire, Isle of Wight and Jersey. 


MY FAVOURITE HOME WAS IN: I have two, really: where I was born, 




and a house in the Cotswolds. 




Like the queen, when nippy a headscarf beneath hard hat.

MY BEST CHILDHOOD MEMORY IS: an annual picnic, of which every member of the family (extended family) endeavoured to attend one way or another from wherever. But like all happy childhood things, older people pass on, others get married and move on, in the meantime one grows up and the opposite sex somehow takes precedence! ;)

MY WORST CHILDHOOD MEMORY IS: the death of my godfather (35yrs), whom I adored. I was nine. I never met my father because he was a Royal Marine and killed in action one month before I was born.

TODAY I LIVE IN: Pembrokeshire, Wales UK, with hubby No2: a man to die for! Pics of my garden...







PROUDEST WRITER MOMENT:  first publication back in 1994 with Masquerade New York.

RANDOM FACT ABOUT ME:  I once had shares in a publishing company, reviewed books for a famous magazine and owned an equestrian business. So why am I self-publishing historical romance novel/las? Simply because Amazon is leading the field in book outlet terms, and after a few tries at getting back into publishing which took all of two years and long delays re replies etc., and yes, only two rejections, (Mills&Boon & Choc-Lit). Did I care? Not in the least. But after a nine-month and six-month wait for reply I decided I couldn’t be arsed with subbing to publishers. That said I do have a contract with a US publisher and a book coming out in July 2012. Nevertheless, I shall be self-publishing a contemporary romantic suspense within the next week or two via Amazon, which is “part autobiographical in content” but written in fictional context. You can catch me @: http://francinehowarth.blogspot.com and there browse my list of historical romance novellas, and “Love Walked In”: my story!        




I hope you've enjoyed learning more about Francine. Tune in tomorrow for Melissa Ann Goodwin. And I'd appreciate a visit to RomanticFridayWriters (http://romanticfridaywriters.blogspot.com) to read some flash fiction if you have time.



39 comments:

dolorah said...

What a beatiful place to grow up. No wonder you write historical romance.

Lovely to read more about you F.

.......dhole

Kyra Lennon said...

Wow! Francine grew up in two of the most gorgeous places in the UK! Lucky!

Unknown said...

Lovely, gorgeous surroundings for your childhood Francine---and Denis, this is an amazing theme.Kudos to you for pulling it off!
Look forward to your challenge run…
--Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge

Charmaine Clancy said...

Love learning about more writers, great series of interviews.
Wagging Tales

Zan Marie said...

Francice, What a wonderful, lovely hometown! Mine is so prosaic. ; )

These interviews are stellar, Denise. Keep 'em coming. ; )

Glynis Peters said...

Beautiful post and pictures. I emigrated from the smallest town in the UK, Manningtree in Essex. Loved viewing the smallest city!

Theresa Milstein said...

Hi, Francine. Oh, how pictueresque everything is!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

You just don't write novels, you've lived one as well! Great to learn and see more of your life. I, like you, grew weary of the lag time in getting rejected, so I chose the self-publication route. I wish you great fortune in your print release! Roland

Martha said...

How absolutely awesome :)

Dawn Embers said...

*waves hi* Hello Francine. Some great responses and I loved the flower pictures in particular.

PR said...

This is a great theme, can't wait to read more :)

Francine Howarth said...

Hi lovely A-Zers.

I do so admire each and every one of you for taking up the challenge, I simply couldn't face it.

True enough, Donna. The old home town and places I've lived have for certain featured one way and another in novels. Though I am in Heaven where I am now...

Roland, I feel I've lived through several novels, not only my own!

*waves* to Dawn, long time no see...

Great posts Denise.

best
F

Liz Brownlee said...

What are the chances of me reading this today, I wonder? I live 15 minutes away from Wells, in a village. I know it well, Wells, as you may imagine! Interesting blog. I'm going to put my A-Z blog here, as Blogger identifies me with my blogger blog which is shared with other children's writers. http://www.lizbrownleepoet.com

Andrew Leon said...

This is a very neat idea. I was also here for your "E" post.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Francine, it's a beautiful place!

Unknown said...

Wow, she has lived in the most beautiful houses.

Sarah Tokeley said...

Absolutely fabulous surroundings Francine. I love your down to earth nature regarding the publishing business - and what a cute little girl you were :-)

DEZMOND said...

such pretty pretty pictures! Pretty pretty!

The Poet said...

Hello Denise, hello Francine.
Francine, I can see where your inspiration comes from. What a beautiful place to grow up in. Your garden is fabulous! wonderful photos & post. Thanks a lot ladies.

Day 6: Forbidden Kisses

Denise Covey said...

Hi Andy, isn't it all just too gorgeous. D.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks for visiting, Dezzy.D.

Denise Covey said...

Wasn't she just Sarah? She is an inspiration. D.

Denise Covey said...

Yes, a real English manor life. D.

Denise Covey said...

Hi Andrew. Thanks for coming back. I think I visited/followed you but I'll check. D.

Denise Covey said...

Hi Liz. This is what makes the blogosphere such an interesting place. Fancy you living close to Wells. I will visit you later. D.

Denise Covey said...

Anna, thanks for visiting. I hope you'll return. D.

Denise Covey said...

Glad you're enjoying them Zan. D.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks everyone for your comments on Francine's childhood. Ever heard of swans ringing a bell when hungry? What a magical childhood. D.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow. I'm so glad to really meet Francine! What you're doing with this A to Z, sis, is so wonderful.

What a wonderful place for her to live, and with a beloved 2nd husband. And where she grew up - oh, I'm so envious. It's all so beautiful. And I love her three year old picture. She's adorable - all that curly hair and a sweet smiling face. LOVELY.
Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror & Other Memoirs

Denise Covey said...

Hi Ann, yes Francine has had a magical journey. No wonder her fiction is historical! D.

Paula Martin said...

Loved your baby pic - and also you garden, Francine! Good luck with your new release.

Francine Howarth said...

Hi Paula,

Yes, I do love my garden! The scents, the bird song, all so inspiring and make for grand little cameos within a novel... ;)

best
F

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Denise and Francine .. another great review - very interesting and boy have you had some 'heavy' jobs .. good for you that you're now 'out of the rat race' as such and are self-publishing ... good luck with the new book. Lovely places to grow up .. and now Wales - with its stunning, rugged, misty countryside .. cheers to you both and Happy Easter .. Hilary

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

Francine, I am so late getting here - but this was so interesting and I loved the picture. How sad to lose your dad so young. Thank you for sharing.

Iris B said...

Beautiful pictures. It looks like a perfect little town to live in!

J.L. Campbell said...

Francine's home town is lovely and the pictures of her garden are wonderful. I like that she's chosen her path and is making publishing work for her.

Anonymous said...

Awh bless, so cute! Sorry to hear you lost your dad and your godfather so early in your life.
What a lovely setting with the gorgeous flowers and it's lovely to hear your story. Congrats on your successes, too, Francine.

Trisha said...

Francine, I just went on a tour of the UK and we passed by Wells but didn't actually go into it. I wish we had now, what with those clever swans!:)

Francine Howarth said...

Hi Ladies,

My pleasure in taking you on a short tour of my old home town, and my garden! ;)

Oh Trisha, you missed so much more than I could show in pics alone... :(

best
F