Monday 16 April 2012

#AtoZChallenge - BLOGGERS WERE CHILDREN TOO! - N is for Nancy (Williams)



Hello there!

I'm using BLOGGERS WERE CHILDREN TOO! for my theme this year. I hope you're enjoying reading about bloggers, some you know and some you may not yet know, as they respond to some prompts I sent out. I've been so grateful for their responses as it helped me to get to know them better, admire their stunning cuteness as babes, and delighted me with random facts.



Last week I posted the following childhood bloggers:


MONDAY - Donna Hole - H
TUESDAY - Iris Blobel - I
WEDNESDAY - Joy Campbell - J
THURSDAY - Kittie Howard - K
FRIDAY - L'Aussie Denise - L
SATURDAY - Paula Martin - M


If you missed a favourite blogger, please scroll down and check out their posts/photos...

Today: 


N is for NR Williams, Fantasy Author


Nancy has no childhood pictures with her, unfortunately.

I WAS BORN IN:  Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

I GREW UP IN: Lincoln until the 6th grade when we moved to Colorado and lived in a suburb called Applewood right against the mountains. 



MY FAVOURITE HOME WAS IN: We had a condo in Thornton, Colorado. A suburb of Denver. I thought I was going to retire there but we lost it due to the economy. I will admit my heart was broken. 

MY BEST CHILDHOOD MEMORY IS: My birthday is Dec. 18, one week before Christmas. Every year my mother made it a point to pick up the Christmas tree on my birthday and we spent the day decorating the tree and house and always had hot chocolate. It made me feel very special. My birthday parties were on a different day.



MY WORST CHILDHOOD MEMORY IS: How much should I share. This is painful, but I have always been an honest and blunt person. Dec. 23, 1962, my parents returned from a Christmas party. My father was drunk. They had argued in the car. He proceeded to beat my mother and older sister. It scared me, and changed me for the rest of my life. I took my 2 year old brother and hid in a downstairs room. I had always been my father's favorite child until then. After that, he was so ashamed he treated all of us differently and we him. 

TODAY I LIVE IN: By the time this post we will have moved so I will have to let you know.

PROUDEST WRITER MOMENT: I read an excerpt from my epic fantasy, The Treasures of Carmelidrium, aloud in an open mic session several years ago and had readers ask me when it would be published. They loved it and I needed to hear that.

RANDOM FACT ABOUT ME: I'm still a child at heart and haven't been able to figure out how I got age spots on my arms. Isn't that what happens to old people? LOL.



I've been inventing fantastical stories since I started talking eons ago. It's fun to create new creatures and new worlds or to elaborate on this one. Come, join me, and enjoy my unique blend of interest. 


Author of epic fantasy, The Treasures of Carmelidrium and The Magic of Windlier Woods. Visit Nancy @ NR Williams, Fantasy Author. Nancy posts stories and on the craft of writing.


I hope you enjoyed this visit with Nancy. Tomorrow tune in for Adura Ojo, poet and writer extraordinaire.


21 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear about that incident in childhood. It would change your life forever. But, you should be really proud of all your writing feedback. That's awesome.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

wow, what a gorgeous place to grow up in. And decorating a christmas tree every birthday must have been awesome.

Kiru Taye said...

Hi Nancy,

I know how painful some childhood memories can be and I totally sympathise.

It's great to see you're still a child at heart because I am too. :)

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Kiru

Francine Howarth said...

Hi Nancy,

Childhood memories can bring shocking events to the fore, and where today PTSD is talked of quite openly, back then it was "pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get on with it". Stoicism was order of the day...

Lovely place to live, though...

best
F

Crack You Whip said...

Thank you for sharing this story!

Rebecka Vigus said...

Great interview. Sorry for the bad memories, but interesting.

Anonymous said...

Nancy is an amazing person, writer, and blogger with encouraging words. Thanks for spotlighting Nancy today!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Despite the childhood trauma, Nancy, you turned out a lovely lady. Colorado is so lovely. I would like to visit one day. But first, New Zealand! Have a great new week, Denise and Nancy, Roland

Zan Marie said...

Nancy,
I understand the painful memories. One of my uncles has just died and all the lies and torment he visited on the entire family are near the surface. It changes us to live with such. May you be blessed and your words free flowing.

Happy writing--wherever you go. ; )

Dawn Embers said...

*waves* HI. NR Williams. Great to see you here on this blog. Your book does still sound great and I hope to read it one day.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I know Nancy!
Sorry you have to have such a good and a bad memory so close together - and near Christmas.

Anonymous said...

I know and love Nancy. I've read her book, and liked it very much. I'm SO sorry she lost her lovely condo in the downturn. SO many people have suffered, and still are suffering. And I'm glad she shared her worst memory. It helps to talk about such things, especially when you discover that so many others have had very similar experiences. We are NOT alone!
Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror & Other Memoirs

Denise Covey said...

It is lovely to read your supportive comments for our Blogger friend. We all wish you every success and happiness from here on in Nancy.

Denise

Anonymous said...

I'm still a child at heart, too.

That's a beautiful picture of Colorado.

N. R. Williams said...

So amazing...thank you everyone for your comments. I'm tired from over doing last week, but I'll catch up with everyone when I can.

Thank you Denise.
Nancy

Beth Camp said...

Sometimes I think those difficult childhood experiences are what compel us to become observers and writers. Thank you for your honesty, Nancy. May every year be blessed with continued good writing and happiness.

Anonymous said...

Great idea for a Challenge theme. Fellow Aussie blogger and Challenge participant coming to visit your site.


Judy

Kittie Howard said...

I'm sorry about what happened, also sorry there wasn't an avenue for outside help of some type to relieve the pain. But a story releases its power each time it's told. Let the words flow.

The Poet said...

Hello Nancy.
I think there's still a child in all of us. Nice reading your post. Hope you're doing ok with your health and that you've settled in wherever you are. Thanks for sharing.

I'm really enjoying these "getting to know you" posts Denise. Thanks for taking the time to put them all together.

J.L. Campbell said...

It's sad when we realize that our heroes have feet of clay. Loved the part about Nancy being a child at heart. I'd be wondering about the age spots too.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Denise and Nancy .. great backstory - happy times and horror times: but they make us .. we see things in a different light. You obviously do and I hope you and your family are still close and help each other now. Good luck with things and life in general .. loved your birthday story.

Cheers to you both .. Hilary