Wednesday 11 April 2012

#AtoZChallenge - BLOGGERS WERE CHILDREN TOO! - J is for Joy, Joy Campbell from The Character Depot.


Hello!

Regular followers and visitors to this site will know I'm using BLOGGERS WERE CHILDREN TOO! for my theme this year. I hope you're enjoying reading about bloggers, some you know and some you may not yet know, as they respond to some prompts I sent out. I've been so grateful for their responses as it helped me to get to know them better, admire their stunning cuteness as babes, and delighted me with random facts.

Thank you Adult Bloggers for your heartfelt responses. Thank you readers for visiting my posts. I hope you'll leave a comment and if you'd like to follow the link to my respondents' blogs they'd be delighted to meet you.

Rock on A- Z Challenge.


Yesterday was Iris Blobel.

Today:

J is for Joy, Joy Campbell from the Character Depot


I WAS BORN IN:  Kingston, Jamaica. My mother had a home delivery, complete with attending nurse. 

I GREW UP IN: Kingston, until was nine. Then we moved to Portmore, the biggest housing development in Jamaica, and I’ve lived in the area since.

MY FAVOURITE HOME WAS IN: my current digs. Having moved into my husband’s house, I took over and made it my own.  



MY BEST CHILDHOOD MEMORY IS: hard to choose. There have been so many good moments. If I absolutely had to choose, I’d say the summers that I spent in the country (Myersville, St. Elizabeth) at my grandmother’s house. All the cousins used to converge on my grandmother’s house in summertime. I don’t know why we had so much fun, considering it meant two whole months without electricity and some of the other stuff that goes along with civilized living. Still, there were lots of adventures, squabbles and way too much eating.

MY WORST CHILDHOOD MEMORY IS: Hearing that my father had died in hospital. He didn’t live with us, so we got the news through a friend of the family. You never quite get over not having had the chance to say goodbye. I was his only daughter, so the ‘only daughters’ out there know what that meant.

TODAY I LIVE IN: Greater Portmore, a few miles from where I grew up. Maybe I need to get around more, but there’s so much comfort in the familiar.


J.L. Campbell lives in sunny Jamaica and is the author of ContrabandDissolutionDon’t Get Mad…Get Even, and Hardware. Her next novel Distraction will be published in May. Campbell is always on the lookout for story making material, loves company and can usually be found lollygagging on her blog at http://thecharacterdepot.blogspot.com

Her website is at http://joylcampbell.com and her Twitter handle is @JL_Campbell.


I hope you loved reading about Joy. She's one busy lady! Tomorrow we move from Jamaica to Louisana to visit Kittie Howard.



28 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

It must have been cool to grow up in Jamaica! Great post!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

That first photo of Joy is precious.
I think Jamaica would have been an awesome place to grow up in.

Nick Wilford said...

I met Joy just before the Challenge started. She seems a very sweet lady. Sorry to hear about her dad.

I'm enjoying her tidbits of Jamaican culture. And lollygagging is a great word!

Francine Howarth said...

Hi J,

Love them daisies and ribbons, gal! Gorgeous pic.

So know where you're coming from on not saying good bye! I never even got around to saying hello to my dad, and one never thinks it possible to miss something one never had but I missed him like crazy...But that's war zones for you.

running4him said...

Hey great post!! I love you blog set up and look!! Keep up the good work!!! You are invited to check out or folow my blog anytime!! Have a great day!!

Theresa Milstein said...

This is the second place I've seen Joy today. How adorable in that kid picture, but she doesn't look to sure about it! I want to visit the "Curry Nation" market.

Denise, I'm really enjoying this series.

J.L. Campbell said...

Thanks so much. Denise, for hosting me. Thanks also to everybody who's commented. Looking at the info., I didn't have a very exciting childhood, but I did enjoy it.

I can relate to Francine too, never having had that connection with her dad. Theresa is right, I think I looked miserable in that picture. It's weird that I never asked my mother why before she died.

Zan Marie said...

Hey, Joy! You know how much I love Jamaica and your work. That first photo is wonderful, sweet, and a keeper. ; )

Matthew MacNish said...

I love JL! How cool that you're featuring a different blogger each day.

Unknown said...

JL, you were so cute when you were little (not that you're not beautiful now, but you know what I mean)! I think you're right, there is comfort in the familiar.

The Poet said...

Hello Joy.
Being born in the Islands myself, I can understand why you love your place so much. Nice photos. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Denise.

Kittie Howard said...

When I visited Jamaica, I fell in love with the island so understand why Joy stayed close to home. Joy's also a fantastic blogger.

Unknown said...

First, I want to say that I love this A to Z theme. I have read back through a couple of your posts, and found them incredibly fascinating. Next, I wanted to say how much I enjoyed getting to know Joy a little better. I love it that she still lives so close to where she grew up!
Dawn

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Joy is a great name that symbolizes her essence on her blog. I am grieved to hear of your father passing, Joy. May magic in some healing way visit you today! Roland

J.L. Campbell said...

Thanks, Zan!

Matthew, thanks for coming by and thanks again to Denise for having me.

Clarissa, I think my mother probably outdid herself dressing me up for that shoot. 

Hi, Andy. I didn’t know you were from the islands. You live and you learn.

Kittie, thanks. Most of the times, we Jamaicans don’t understand what a precious home we have!
Dawn, yep, I think Denise deserves an A for originality in her A-Z’s. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Li said...

It sounds like you had a lot of fun growing up! I'm a homebody too - I've lived most of life about 15 miles away from my childhood home :-)

Denise Covey said...

It's been great reading your responses to Joy. She is indeed a great joy to know.
And that pic is priceless.

Denise

Sandra Tyler said...

unusal. thank you!

Ciara said...

One of my dear friends is from Bahamas and her father passed after the Shell explosion. I feel for anyone who loses a parent.

Anonymous said...

Joy is indeed a joy to get to know better. How wonderful that she had such a great childhood. Love that young picture. Both faces of Joy are beautiful! And I express my sadness to her also at the passing of her father.
Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror & Other Memoirs

Sarah Tokeley said...

Joy, you looked adorable - and so serious! I really appreciated the chance to get to know someone, who I consider to be a good blogging friend, better. So sad about your father's death.

J.L. Campbell said...

Li, thanks. Like I said, there's so much comfort in the familiar.

J.L. Campbell said...

Thanks for stopping in too!

J.L. Campbell said...

Thanks, Ciara. I am grateful that I had him around for the time that I did.

J.L. Campbell said...

Thanks so much, Ann. Despite the loss of my father, I've done well.

J.L. Campbell said...

Sarah, I feel I was in revolt over that picture taking, but my memory doesn't support that thought. :) It's been wonderful getting to know you too.

Deniz Bevan said...

Lovely to find out more about you, Joy! I think those summers sound awesome - a pile of cousins together having adventures :-)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Denise and Joy .. interesting to read more and see some of the background in Jamaica .. we forget 2 months without electricity .. even in England it was basic electricity after the war.

Love the photo of you as a kid - fun reminder! Cheers to you both .. Hilary