Friday 4 March 2011

Win a book contract! An Honest LIe Anthology - call for short story submissions - closing March 15

Before I begin, a plug for my entry in the Race for 200 Contest. I posted it today. Please go here to read/comment. Thanks.

Well, I told you I was getting into my writing and I have been hitting the books and sent off one short story yesterday, woo hoo! And for my next Donna Hole generously  pointed me to Open Heart Publishing short story anthology.Over there in my side bar is a symbol for Open Heart Publishing, and the link for the current anthology requirements for An Honest Lie Volume 3; Justifiable Hypocrisy. I'd like to take this opportunity to encourage everyone who enjoys writing short stories to send a submission. But be quick!

Open Heart Publishing is a small press, and the stories they pubilish are top class. It is a paid gig.

So get writing, or dust off one of your short stories of between 3,000 and 5,000 words. For further info go to the link.

EricW Trant, a previous winner of the best story in a  volume, (the prize is a book contract with Open Heart Publishing!)  has posted the first 330 words of his own submission here, and invites others who are wanting to submit to post up to (not to exceed) their first 330 words as a way of promoting the call for submissions. You can read Donna Hole's extract here and Roland D Yeoman's here.. I am entering the full rejigged text of my Perfect Silence of the Night vampire story. Some of you may have read excerpts. It was my first attempt at paranormal and I loved writing it. It's great to try a different genre. My opening is below:



The Perfect Silence of the Night

The hazy moon hovered in the inky sky, asking the stars to dance.

The milky brightness shone upon the earth, lighting the way for two cloud-shadows who swiftly passed by the trees.

The cloud-shadows drifted through the forest in the perfect silence of the night, onto the bright green carpet of the upland grasses.

Vipunin and Cuchulain, strolling through the trees from the opposite direction, paused, alert. Camouflaged by foliage, they watched, their pale, stony faces rapt, eyes starry bright.

‘Something delicious this way comes,’ murmured Vipunin to his companion.

‘Hmm, delectable...oh, Vipunin, the journey has been tedious thus far. May we feast?’

‘No, Cuchulain, you are too impatient. Let’s watch awhile. Humans are endlessly fascinating. It takes me back...’

The two hungry vampires tugged their cloaks around their tall, slim bodies, blending into the cobalt night.

They watched, bodies twitching, eyes burning, thirst raging within their breasts.

Vipunin and Cuchulain looked at each other and nodded, knowing each other’s thoughts. Yes, the two humans were uncommonly beautiful as they stepped from the shadows into the Verdant Valley, a male and a female.

The male was strikingly handsome, so much so that Vipunin, who considered himself the most arresting representation of the male form on this earth and the next, was instantly awash with jealousy. He clamped his teeth, his jaw fixed in a scowl. This human could be his double, with his thick black curly hair falling to his shoulders and his features etched with pride and strength.

This male pretender will not live, Vipunin mused. He continued his incantation inside his head:

Oh proud one
The darkness awaits
It will claim your soul
then the darkness will eat you whole
Beware Vipunin…

‘The male’s mine,’ Vipunin spat.

24 comments:

Golden Eagle said...

Thanks for the links!

Great excerpt--it sounds like a fascinating story.

Alleged Author said...

Sounds like a wonderful story, and the picture you chose is amazing! I could stare at it for hours.

Denise Covey said...

Golden Eagle: Glad you liked the excerpt.

Alleged A: Yes, great pic isn't it?

Grandpa said...

You are busy already Denise!

Eerie and suspenseful...with the perfect photo to accompany the story.

Nervously and anxiously waiting for 'what next' now...

Denise Covey said...

Grandpa, I remember you didn't like my scary stories. Ha ha.

Carole Ann: Thank you.

Anonymous said...

thanks for th links ;D

Denise Covey said...

michelle: You're welcome.

dolorah said...

Oh baby! I'm hooked . . .

Please let me read more! This is just awesome. I hope the short story makes the cut.

I'm nervous about my own entry, but its off into the world of rejection - or not.

This is a fabulous beginning Denise. I just know you'll make the cut with it.

And thanks for the shout-out.

....dhole

Margo Benson said...

Thank you for the links.

I adore 'cloud-shadows' - that's a fantastic excerpt, I really want to know the rest. Wishing you all the best with it.

George said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Denise Covey said...

Donna: Thanks for the heads up for the comp! Glad you like my vamps!

Margo: Thanks so much. Glad you like it.

J.L. Campbell said...

Good luck with your submission, Denise!

Jules said...

Thanks for the links. What a great first attempt! Best of luck on the submission :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Summer Ross said...

Thanks so much for the links- headed to check it out now.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Your prose is lyrical. Your protagonists arechillingly predatory and petty. Makes me want to see my Samuel McCord stroll up behind them.

See? You wrote so well that I was drawn into feeling fear for the young lovers.

I entered the RACE TO 200 blogfest, too. Fun, wasn't it?

Thanks for linking to my admission to AN HONEST LIE. I wish you and Donna luck. My own admission is long. Not a good thing. Editors may not want to consume so much space for an unknown.

May this year turn out to OUR YEAR, right? Roland

Denise Covey said...

JL, Jules, Summer: Thank you! I hope you submit too?

Roland: I'm very honoured you came by and wanted to Sam McCord those predatory vamps. My story is nearly 5,000 words so it is still within the limit.

Unknown said...

Congrats on winning the crusade first challenge. I just saw the post on Rach Writes. I hadn't met you yet, so I thought I drop by. My blog is www.idevourkidbooks.blogspot.com

Nas said...

Hi Denise,

The vampire story sounds awesome. Would definitely read more.

Thanks for the links!

Nas said...

Hi Denise,

The vampire story sounds awesome. Would definitely love to read more.

Thanks for the links!

Denise Covey said...

Lois: Thanks but I was a judge, not a winner.

Nas: Thanks. Glad you like it.

Talli Roland said...

I love the 'asking the stars to dance' line - fantastic opening! Amd fantastic pic.

kerrie said...

you are such a generous blogger your share so much valuable information thanks you and you story I love vampire stories and i would love to read more
cheers
K

digillette said...

Thanks for sharing this great opportunity with us and for letting us read your excerpt! Good luck! :)

-Diane (fellow Crusader)

Denise Covey said...

Talli: Thanks for that.

kerri: I love to share. Glad you like my vanmps.

digillette: Great to meet you!