Wednesday 2 August 2023

#IWSG August '23, #amwriting, #amediting

 Hello readers!



CLICK to read more IWSG posts!


The awesome co-hosts for the August 2 posting of the IWSG are Kate Larkinsdale, Diane Burton, Janet Alcorn, and Shannon Lawrence!

Down to business!

Hope the month of July was a success! Thank you for those who left helpful comments on my last month's IWSG post asking for your writing schedules. Was great. 

I've been writing up a storm. How about you? So much happening - WEP challenge prepared for August 1 with Sonia Dogra, I've extended my Book Funnel sub for another year, so have been preparing book samples for a women's fiction promo which included making mock-up covers on Canva, self-editing said two novels, and sent the Fijian Princess novel to Nas Dean in Fiji. So glad. She found a few bloopers re Fijian bures. Brilliant!


Can Stock Photo of Navala Village where my two main characters sort themselves out.
 CSP is brilliant for images - you pay, but no sign ups etc.


And one reason I've written so much is I head off on a caravan trip to North Queensland, Townsville, to spend 3 weeks with family. Writing is pretty much off the agenda up there!

 


Lots of sunrises and sunsets


Lots of this!


Hopefully some of this!


So above discussion segues into this month's question -

 Have you ever written something that afterwards you felt conflicted about? If so, did you let it stay how it was, take it out, or rewrite it?

Of course. I find it excruciating to let go of my darlings. My leaning is more toward - oh I could have written that better! More pace? Did I really need that chapter? My cover could have been better...etc etc. I'm no stranger to re-writing, buying a new cover...etc, but there's only so much that is useful. When I publish my next two books, I'll have 8 books published. Then...I will go back to the beginning and pay for new covers on my vampire series and jump into promotion again. (Had a hiatus on that while hubs needed more attention). I've proved - no promo, few sales. 

So, have a great August, everyone!

And if you'd like to stretch yourself, here's a sweet idea. Join WEP for the August challenge!


Who's got the sweetest story?


Did you know that WEP is publishing an Anthology in May 2024? Now open for submissions for flash fiction of under 1,000 words. CLICK to learn more.


Another mock up cover made on Canva until we find the main genre in the submissions. Then Olga Godim will put her talents to work!


Have a great month. 

Denise



21 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I loved hearing that you are writing and editing up a storm. Enjoy your family time - and come back refreshed and revitalised.

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's awesome that you've been having a productive writing month. And have fun with your family. I'm glad you're going to take a break from your writing to totally enjoy your trip.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I can understand why you were jamming in so much writing. Have a great time with your family.

Diane Burton said...

Congrats on such a productive month. Enjoy you family visit.

A Hundred Quills said...

Hi Denise. You've done a lot, so you certainly deserve that break. I'm looking forward to reading your take on Chocolat!
Sonia

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You can go on vacation with weight off your shoulders.

emaginette said...

You and I read a lot of the same books. Aren't they great!

Anna from elements of emaginette

cleemckenzie said...

Killing those darlings takes a lot energy. Have a great vacation!

Beth Camp said...

Enjoy every moment of your vacation. Your post did make me smile (no promotion? fewer sales), as wouldn't I rather write just about anything than work on promotion . . . but, without that commitment to some form of promotion (every day?), where do our sales go? I just participated in a Cozy Mystery Book Blast. Over 1,100 people downloaded my book for free, and now I'm waiting/wondering will there be a ripple effect? The other message that comes through in your post is that you have such a clear sense of what's next. May the summer bring you many words and good memories!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Denise - you are organised ... but as a teacher you're bound to be (have to be I guess) ... I'm going to look at Canva soon - I'll be interested in it. Changes happening all the time ... take care and I'm ready for WEP and I look forward to the WEP Anthology ... cheers Hilary

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Hilary. As you say, a teacher must be organized. I love being organizing and planning ahead - maybe I've hit on something - planning monthly. Can't wait till we publish WEP stories.

Denise Covey said...

Ha Beth, more rightly - no promo, no sales. No one likes self promotion, but geez, we need it. I enter a lot of Bookfunnel promos, currently in 2. I get lots of downloads, but rarely any feedback. I'm using this women's fiction promo that I have in my sidebar to ascertain if readers are interested in my 2 latest books.

Denise Covey said...

You're kidding me right? LOL. Thanks!

Denise Covey said...

Hi Anna! We do like the same books. Go us!

Denise Covey said...

Hi Sonia. Thanks. I can't wait to publish 2 stories for Chocolat again! Hoping we get some sweet stories!

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Diane.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Sue. That's my general state. Will enjoy the family that's for sure.

Olga Godim said...

In any story, there is always room for improvement. Someone said that a story is never finished, just abandoned. It is up to us, writers, to know the right moment to abandon our stories and let them stand on their own.

Denise Covey said...

I like the idea of abandoned books!

J Lenni Dorner said...

Great that you're writing. Hope the trip is fun and productive. I enjoyed my recent marketing campaign with QuotesRain, though I don't know if it did anything for sales. 🤷🏽‍♂️ The images they created for promo were pretty cool though.

"We are all children of chance, and none can say why some fields will blossom while others lay brown beneath the August sun." – Kent Nerburn quote

J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Speculative Fiction &Reference Author, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, and Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge

Shannon Mackle said...

Win Ex lover back in 48 hours.........


He cures herpes with herbal mixture


100% result guaranteed..


Email…. R.buckler11 [[ gmail….com ]]


United States…