Wednesday 5 July 2023

#IWSG JULY - HOW MANY MINUTES/HOURS/DAYS DO YOU WRITE?

How are you doing? I'm glad you found your way here on IWSG day because I want to pick your brains. I'm not answering the optional question today - I'm going my own way.



After trying for the past 10 years, I'm finally closing down my English tutoring business at the end of the senior school year. I made sure I only tutored Year 12 students this year - they'll be off to University, so I won't get tearful phone calls from mums and dads when I fling them into the big wide world without their guide by their side.

Now, my insecurity is - what do I do now I have the opportunity to write full time? Well, I have a big extended family, so there are never-ending demands on my time, but there's nothing new about that. Some clever clogs manage to write books with a baby over their shoulder, tapping on their smart phones. Wow. But I'm definitely going to have extra hours in the week to write and I fear I will fritter them away.

I'm endlessly fascinated by those threads in many FB writing groups I follow. Last week there was one on 20booksto50k whose focus is unashamedly The Business of Being a Self-Published Author. That's the crux of my problem - I don't treat writing as a business, except in my head. So on 20 books, there were the usual and stoic - "I set aside xx number of hours per day and stick to it, no exceptions" to the "I never set goals because it stresses me and I end up writing less." Hmm. Reminds me of someone.

It doesn't take much to fascinate me when writers talk about writing because I always think everyone is smarter than I am. Then I remind myself I have self-published 6 books over a couple years which sounds pretty awesome, until I 'fess I've been working on some of them since 2010, LOL. To call me a slow writer is an understatement. You know, there's places to travel, holidays to take, house to clean, meals to cook, books to read, WEP to oversee and write for, research ... you know. And I just can't stop self-editing!!

But I was truly fascinated by one clever writer who said, and I paraphrase, "I spend a month outlining/planning my next book, I spend a month (yes, only a month!!!) writing it, then leave it for a month, then I spend a month editing - self-editing, then send it to my editor and start the whole process again on my next book." Holy guacamole! Now if I try to emulate this clever author I'd fall flat on my face, seeing I've never finished a book in under 5 years!

**So how about you? Are you secure in your writing career, set a business plan and follow it, or are you more like me who doesn't set weekly goals so I'm not disappointed when I can't reach them? I'd love to hear how clever you sets goals.

And this is the purpose of the IWSG - To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

So thanks in advance for your assistance and guidance ...

Be sure to visit the Insecure Writer’s Support Group Website!!!

And the following kind people have taken time out of their busy writing lives to help Alex this month.

 PJ Colando,  Kim Lajevardi,  Gwen Gardner,  Pat Garcia,  and  Natalie Aguirre!


~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~

Would you tweet for me?

Do you set #writinggoals, #IWSG, @DeniseCCovey #amwriting #writingcareer, #writersoftwitter, #writingcommunity, https://dencovey.blogspot.com/2023/07/iwsg-july-how-many-minuteshoursdays-do.html


~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~


And I can't leave without inviting you to write for WEP in August. 


How about this? Sure to be a favorite~yummy~



What could be sweeter than to write about chocolate?

Post - August 16th to the 18th 2023

Thanks so much -

Denise


32 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Good luck. I am always grateful to authors. And cannot comprehend how you do it.I like that woman's plan but fear I would find excuses and a month would become months. And probably more months.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I'm a slow writer too and could never write a book like that author did in a few months. I try to write for an hour most weekdays while I eat lunch. I don't think you should pressure yourself to be a full-time writer in retirement. Your family and all the other things you mentioned are just as important. Unless you really want to, don't closet yourself away writing all the time and give up this precious time with family and friends that you won't have someday.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I don't treat it as a business either. And I'm just as slow a writer as you.
I think Natalie's advice is really sound.

Jemi Fraser said...

I'm a fairly quick writer and always have ideas whirling in my brain. I don't do well with pressure and deadlines (this is why I'm an indie author :)) so I just tend to focus on the next thing. I do treat it as a business in regards to the $ (separate account...) but real life comes first always.

cleemckenzie said...

My stories are often breech births, slow and painful. Love the next WEP theme!

Pat Garcia said...

Hi, It takes me a long time to get a story out and that's okay with me. I'm just starting on the marketing side of book writing. But again, I'm not pulling my hair out. So, I agree with Natalie and the others who are saying, take your time. You have just put a lot of pressure behind you. Don't be so quick to pick up something to replace it. Go slow.
All the best.
Shalom shalom
(I finally discovered the problem with me and Google. Waiting on them, I would be waiting for years.)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Is the author who does it month by month Elizabeth S. Craig? Because that's how she puts out four books a year. I can't write that fast either.

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

I try not to get too goal-oriented with my writing, because I want to keep it enjoyable. Nor do I want it to interfere with my travel and hiking!
One month to draft a novel would be painful for me. If I plan well, and have a good outline to work with, I can do it in 6 weeks. I've done that several times with NaNoWriMo as my little external goad.
Now, in theory, I have at least 3 mornings a week when I work on writing 9-12. I'm in an accountability group to help make that happen, but we are pretty forgiving of the ways that life and even just a bad night's sleep can mess with that. In the best of all possible worlds I'd finish a book a year. It's now been 2 years since the last one, but I have one very close to ready, and another one drafted and ready to revise, so maybe I can keep the average up!

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

Oh, and Chocolat? I might have to come out of hiding and write one for this challenge!

Botanist said...

I'm a pretty slow writer too. And I don't think more hours in a day would help. It takes time for ideas to form so there's a limit to how much I can write in a day no matter how much free time I have.
I also hear you about goals. The right goals at the right time can be motivating. But they can just as easily become tyrants and lead to despair, so handle goals with care!
However, I do approach writing like a business. I aim to average an hour a day over the course of the month. With a few novels under my belt, I can reckon on just over two years from first notes to publication.

A Hundred Quills said...

Hi Denise. I love your IWSG post this month. Many things for me. I started off thinking I would be a full-time writer but learnt too soon that this full-time business would be stressful and the fun I have writing will likely go away when I have targets to meet. So I got back a job, and continued to write. I want to write but I am also aware of my shortcomings as a writer. Maybe that's the reason I can't let go of my job. I don't know, but I think subconsciously it's this. I spend a little over an hour writing every day, six days a week. And it's possible because of a group I am part of who meet online without turning on their cameras once a day. I wish you all the best. Six books is great work!
-Sonia

H. R. Sinclair said...

I admit this post hits close to home for me. I feel much the same and can completely relate.

Denise Covey said...

Yes, Holly, I think most of us are the same.

Denise Covey said...

Sonia, I was interested to hear your story. I know writers who thought they could give up work after publishing one book. Unless you get all the help in the world, it takes many more! Even if you don't work, we're all good at wasting time!

Denise Covey said...

I'm glad there're lots of slow writers out there. More hours in the day would probably be frittered away. I congratulate you on seeing writing as a business.

Denise Covey said...

I'm with you in spending time doing other things we love. But I know best-selling authors who say no to everything that keeps them from writing. Depends on what's most important to you I guess.

Will be awesome to welcome you back for a dose of Chocolat.

Denise Covey said...

I do like the month by month idea but that would equate to 2 books a year, which would be totally awesome. I'd need two months at least to write. And much more to self-edit, although I know many authors just send a mess even without chapters, to their editors. Ugh.

No, not Elizabeth S Craig.

Denise Covey said...

I'm glad Google is aware of your problem. And I'm glad you were able to comment here!

Yeah, I love writing slow. I really immerse myself in the story, like you. That takes a lot of dreaming and a lot of time.

Denise Covey said...

Ha Ha. Like that description. I get you.
Hope you can manage a post for Chocolat. That would be so sweet, pun intended Lee.

Denise Covey said...

Real life comes first. I agree, but not everyone does. Glad you can write fast. I try. Really do, but I like to linger.

Denise Covey said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't see writing as a business. Maybe when I retire, I will. Who knows? I just love to write.

Denise Covey said...

Natalie, you get the gold star for your comment.
I'm just answering these comments after making a few bottles of passionfruit butter. I guess a 'real' writer would just buy it, LOL. But I like to create everything myself which explains the slow writer in me. Family always comes first and I rarely so no to an event or someone coming to stay.

Hee hee. On my death bed I'd rather be surrounded by my family than a pile of my published books.

Denise Covey said...

I, too, like that woman's plan, but I'd have to change it to two or three months per section then maybe I could publish a book a year. Hope you're doing well, Sue.

Olga Godim said...

I'm a slow writer too. I don't think anyone could write a book in a month, unless the quality suffers, and the writer is OK with that. No trick would substitute for the time needed to produce good fiction. I'm sure I don't want to read the writer you quote, the one who writes a book a month.

Denise Covey said...

She writes a book every 3 months, Olga, and she's a best-selling author. Not too shabby. With practise, I'm sure we could write faster; there's actually books written about it.

Beth Camp said...

Thank you for writing from your heart about this month's question -- and taking it in a new direction. I too am a slow writer, taking about 3 years to finish a project. But after nearly 2 years on an art crimes mystery (and 30K), can you believe I sidelined it for a new project? I am so excited and I'm trying something new to keep me focused on the writing. 1) I set a goal of 400 words a day. Doesn't matter when (time of day) or where (in the wip). 2) I'm using a detailed 3 section outline following Save the Cat! with sentence starters for each chapter (breaking down the story into scenes). 3) In between, I'm researching whatever the day's writing leads to questions. And saving pictures. These help me visualize scenes and characters. And, yes, I'm trying out (not in Excel) using a chart to list characters (tied to character descriptions with images) and settings (again with images). This is probably too long of a response, but your post hit a chord because I also would like to improve my writing productivity without sacrificing quality. Any other writing-related challenges? Yes! Marketing! PS. Thank you for your work on WEP. Writing challenges also are inspiring! May the summer bring you many good words for your stories.

Denise Covey said...

Beth, what a long thrilling reply. Never apologize for the length. If you've got something to share, share it. Thank you!
I'm glad you share the same desire to be more productive with your writing. I'm really scared of setting goals, but I'm going to try. Not words per day goals; I know that'd slay me - I can write anything from naught to 10,000 per day, very up and down. But I wonder if I'm let down by having at least 2 books on the go at any one time. I've got a few months to sort myself out and then away I go - 2 books a year is my overarching goal. Let's see shall we?

emaginette said...

I'm in full-blown imposter syndrome right now. Rough roads ahead. hehehe

Computer Tutor said...

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this. It is nice to have more time to write, don't you think? And your family demands will be a great break/inspiration for your books. Me, I outline, draft, edit, edit, edit.... At some point, it feels ready! I have you beat on length of time. My first book took 25 years!

Nas said...

Hi Denise!
I know of many writers doing what that person said she does. They plan, plot, write an outline and then start writing. They are quite fast and already on another book by the time they send out this first book to their editor.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Denise - very belatedly ... just before Chocolat though ... which is ready to hit the WEP world. Food all through August for me ... as I change a little and need to plan my life - and blog ahead ... I'll see where I go - but plan I must - cheers for now - Hilary

Shannon Mackle said...

Win Ex lover back in 48 hours.........


He cures herpes with herbal mixture


100% result guaranteed..


Email…. R.buckler11 [[ gmail….com ]]


United States…