Wednesday 16 August 2023

#WEP August Challenge - my #flashfiction using the movie, Chocolat as the prompt.

Hello there! I'm glad you came by to read my #flashfiction based on the movie prompt - Chocolat. Those who have read my novel, Paris Dreams, will recognise the restaurant where I set the two main characters' first break up. My follow up book, still in the works, is also set in Paris, and is based on a traditional French cookery school. I've incorporated some ideas from that as well. And even the service overseas is in my new book, so I had several ideas to play with for this story. 

Please enjoy reading as much as I enjoyed writing this.



Tastes of Love

 

The restaurant, with its silky red walls and black chandeliers, wrapped its dark arms around me, welcomed me home to Paris after a long absence. As a war correspondent in the Middle East, food, any food was a bonus eaten on the run, but I can’t recall the taste, but I recall much else I’d rather forget.

“Concentrate on the joys you’ve experienced, not the tragedies,” my therapist, Celeste, advised during  our session today.

“What do you know of tragedy?” I couldn’t help saying, raw from my latest loss.

“Pardon. You’re right of course.” She smoothed her perfect chignon, freshened her bright red lipstick then cooed to her pet birds in the covered courtyard of her luxurious apartment. “But try.”

I’m trying. 

Immersing myself in what has always brought me joy – traditional French food. Traditional French food never changes and tonight I relished that. I’ve had enough change for now. The meals at Le Chocolat (pronounced show-ko-lah, don’t you love it!) are typically French – plain, tasty, inexpensive peasant's food which is what I love best. It’s never fussy with modern twists and miniscule servings which don’t work for me. I rarely choose my restaurants by Michelin stars – I choose those with hearty, old-fashioned meals like Maman and Grand’Mere used to cook.

Waiters here are as traditional as the food. My favorite, Maurice, caught my eye, hurried to my table, pulled out my chair, flicked a crisp white napkin and placed it on my lap. “Shall I bring the mussels, Cara?” He scanned the room. “But where is your friend?”

Oh my heart. “He couldn’t make it, désolé. Mais oui to the mussels, s’il te plait, Maurice.”

I dealt with those rattly little mouthfuls of joy quickly, relishing the white wine and cream sauce, nectar of the gods. I struggled to stay in the moment, sorry Celeste; I shake my head and instead anticipate the rich onion soup, Le Chocolat's signature dish.

Maurice was already whipping away my plate and placing a huge white bowl before me. Ooh la la. What could beat the shot of sweet onion fragrance on a bitter winter's night?  Hmm. Concentrate, Cara. That soaked garlicky bread and long, stringy toasted cheese always sticks to my chin. Let’s face it; there is no elegant way to eat this dense soup, but tonight no one dabs my messy face with a napkin. But the soup; I wanted to live in the bowl, be revived by the nourishing juices, build myself up for my next assignment, Ukraine. Where will I find food over there?

Maurice offered me a free cocktail. I held the tiny, jeweled glass against the light, mesmerized by the play of diamonds and rich red liquid. I held it close to my nose, hesitated, sipped. It tasted of rose perfume, a sweet flavor that clashed with my morbid thoughts. Guilt crept over me; I try to push it away, but it refuses to leave. Why should I survive to live another day, eat another joyous meal, while my fellow correspondent, Benoit, ate his last meal then stepped onto an IB outside the restaurant? 

I will visit his parents in Montmartre after dinner which is why my stomach is taut and I’m forcing myself to enjoy every mouthful. For Benoit. Benoit. We shared so many meals at Le Chocolat and Maurice always gave us that tiny cocktail. He was performing an act of kindness, but memories turned my taste to dust.

I pushed it aside and ordered a rich red to accompany the Beef Bourguignon which Maurice has delivered to my table. The sharp aromas of tiny roasted onions, carrot, and rich, red, melt-in-your-mouth beef...my stomach danced, relaxed a little. How Benoit loved this dish and always reached across the table to finish mine! 

I lifted my fork, speared a cube of tender meat. The flavor of red wine mixed with onion and herbs revealed to me, if the mussels and onion soup hadn't already convinced me, that I was back in Paris.

It was pleasant beyond words to be drinking good wine and eating excellent food - a bottle of wine and a plate of comforting food is always good company, tonight, my only company.


Maurice saw I was immersed in my food and drink and left me to my joys and sorrows, only coming by to top up my wine at regular intervals. I saw in his doleful eyes that he’d realized Benoit wasn’t coming back, and he offered succor in the way he knew best. 

He raised his eyebrows.

I nodded. Yes, please.

Chocolat.

We always finished our meal with a platter of perfectly-created chocolat in all shapes, sizes and colors.

I reached for a dark star-shaped chocolate with golden hearts and placed it on my tongue.

“Au revoir, Benoit,” I whispered. “I hope you’re somewhere enjoying plentiful food, my love.”


TAGLINE: Food is a memory trigger extraordinaire!

~*~

WORDS: 817

FCA


BIG NEWS! A FLASH FICTION ANTHOLOGY!


Mock up cover only created on Canva


If you enjoy writing flash fiction, please go HERE to read about WEP's upcoming Anthology. If you've ever written to a WEP challenge, or do so before December '23, you are invited to submit.


If you like the idea of writing to prompts, October is our next, run by our very own thriller queen, Yolanda Renee. Please think about what you could do with the Phantom of the Opera prompt. Go HERE for ideas to get your creative juices flowing.



Thanks again for reading! I'll visit as soon as I can.

Denise

29 comments:

A Hundred Quills said...

This has my heart, Denise. Loved it. The last bit, Maurice's quiet realisation and his gesture are truly heart-warming. (Again, I wasn't able to access this from the mobile. I hope it is an issue at my end).
-Sonia

Elephant's Child said...

Poignant and beautiful. Thank you. I most definitely DID enjoy reading it (though it plucked at my heartstrings) and I am glad that you enjoyed writing it.

Denise Covey said...

Thank you Sonia. I'm so glad you liked it.

Denise Covey said...

I'm glad you enjoyed reading it Sue. I did enjoy writing it for sure.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Great story. I really felt her grief over the loss of Benoit.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Denise - delicious French food ... soooo good. Sad - it must happen to many foreign correspondents ... and does still. Now to concentrate on chocolat and Maurice's gesture of ensuring her peace, yet realising her sadness - then bringing the star shaped chocolat with golden hearts - yes food is a memory trigger extraordinaire: especially chocolat so often. Loved it - thank you ... Hilary

Damyanti Biswas said...

I love this! Food is definitely a source of emotion and remembrance for many, including myself, and you portrayed that connection so well. I got so immersed that my stomach started rumbling!

Yolanda Renée said...

Oh, how I wish I could enjoy food the way you do, and then write it so deliciously! This was beautiful. I hope you submit it to a foodie magazine. It'd be a hit for sure! Love it!

Jemi Fraser said...

Beautiful! A lovely way to remember Benoit

Denise Covey said...

I'm glad I got that across, Natalie!

Denise Covey said...

Yes, who would be a foreign correspondent? War is lethal and so many pay the ultimate price for their bravery. I'm glad you liked my flash. Food and memory entertwined.

Olga Godim said...

I suspect, compared to a war zone, food in a peaceful country should taste divine. Any peaceful country, I'm sure, but France especially. I want to try those chocolates too, and the rest of the menu as well.

Denise Covey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Denise Covey said...

Thanks Renee. That's high praise coming from you! OF COURSE I was writing about my favorite subject.

Denise Covey said...

It was wasn't it?

Denise Covey said...

You're right of course Olga. Anything would taste of nectar of the gods after eating rations on the run.

N. R. Williams said...

That description of food is wonderful. I'm sorry she lost Benoit.
Nancy

dolorah said...

Absolutely awesome; a great way to cherish the good memories of a loved one who has passed. This spoke to my own heart, having lost both my middle sons in the last 18 months. Some of my family refuse to eat their favorite foods, but I relish the treasured memories of better times as I eat.

This is very well written, and made me hungry. Could almost smell the aromas.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Nancy. Me too.

Denise Covey said...

Donna, I'm thrilled it spoke to your heart after experiencing such loss. I never knew you lost your sons! Please accept my condolences. But like you, eating their fave foods would be a blessing.

Shilpa Gupte said...

Such a beautiful story! I loved reading about the food, and the French words...although I don't know the language, those words felt beautiful to read. The food made my stomach rumble, but the sorrow of losing a dear friend broke my heart.

Carole Stolz said...

"The restaurant, with its silky red walls and black chandeliers, wrapped its dark arms around me, welcomed me home to Paris after a long absence." What an introductory sentence Denise. You had me from first to last! Wonderful story, written as a Master.

Beth Camp said...

A delicious flash. A poignant story embedded and revealed with every course. How this appreciation of French dining brought back memories of Paris. In fact, one time, our local baker there refused to sell us croissants because they had been baked in the morning and were not fresh enough by the afternoon! Thank you also for analyzing this story for those wanting to know more about writing flash fiction!

Jamie said...

Ooaaf, I feel that. When the therapist's voice-in-head was all "focus on the joys." 🙄 Like you're supposed to ignore everything else? That's not actually helping to deal. Anyway.

Traditional never changes... that feels like it's a definition or something, like you meant to put more in the sentence or something?

I absolutely LOVE the details your character has with the food and drink. My friend and her hubby are visiting Paris right now for their anniversary. Lots of pics of art and tourists spots. WHERE IS THE FOOD? My social media would be a reckless abandon of French food pics. My profile pic would be me hidden behind a 🥐 croissant, made fresh that morning from a bakery. So, as a foodie, I greatly appreciate this story and the food descriptions offered. Plus the emotion tied to eating, for the character.

Well done.

Nilanjana Bose said...

This was utterly delightful and heartbreaking at the same time. Food is indeed such a huge trigger of memories. Made me want to go back to Paris this instant!

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

Blast! Now I'm hungry!
I'm a peasant food and hearty portions kind of gal myself. Teeny tidbits of overpriced food drizzled in sauce will never the trick.

Bernadette said...

Enchanting and beautiful. The food sounded so delicious though.

Shannon Mackle said...

Win Ex lover back in 48 hours.........


He cures herpes with herbal mixture


100% result guaranteed..


Email…. R.buckler11 [[ gmail….com ]]


United States…

Beth Camp said...

I'm reading this a month late, but couldn't resist seeing what you wrote for the September WEP Challenge. Your beautiful story brought tears to my eyes, memories of a time in Paris when croissants, crepes, and coffee were part of every day. Thank you!