Thursday 20 September 2012

#RomanticFridayWriters - Challenge No 45 - Oh How I Hate My Beautiful Friend!

It's time for our bi-monthly challenge for RomanticFridayWriters. Today the prompt is 'Oh How I Hate My Beautiful Friend.' The linky is up and fingers are furiously dashing over keyboards as writers and poets come up with all sorts of takes on the theme. If you'd like to try the challenge, it's open to all! Go to the RFW Challenges Page for more info. on the prompt. If you like the idea, please join us.

Today I'm continuing the Inya and Sally series. Sally has returned to Anam Island to continue her love affair with a Fijian local. She's handed over the reins of her New York corporation and plans to stay on the island with Inya. Her tough New York BFF, Agnetha, has other ideas and isn't afraid to share them...


BFF? Best Friends Forever? 


Sally delighted in the silvery moonlight flickering across the Pacific Ocean. Her adrenalin surged. She wanted to run along the beach, scream and shout. 

Don’t you just love jet lag?

She’d just hit the pillow when she heard the thump, thump, thump. Was it Inya? Surely he knew she wasn’t up for an early-morning surf. He’d seen the wreck she was last night.

She fell out of bed, dragged on a robe, pushed her hair out of her eyes and tugged the door open – and screamed!

‘God, Sally, you’re one wrecked chick. I thought island life suited you?’

‘What the – what are you doing here, Aggie?’

‘Well, can I come in?’

Sally opened the door and watched as Aggie dragged all four designer suitcases inside, leaving them where they fell.

‘What – ?’

‘I’m glad to see you too, honey.’

‘But - ?’

‘How did I get here? Well, I caught a plane, a bus, a boat…and asked about you at the dive shop and they pointed me in this direction.’

‘What are you doing following me?’

‘I’ve been your friend since we were in trainer bras honey. The Sally I know doesn’t rush all the way across the world, give up corporate life in the most exciting city in the world, for, what – an uneducated guy on an atoll? I’m here to find out if it’s just reef and beef – or is there more to it?’

‘There’s a lot more to it. I love Inya. I plan to spend the rest of my life with him, wherever, however that works out.’

‘You’ve known him – how long was that again?’

‘Six months. Long enough.’

‘You’re taking yourself off the market after six months? Six months is too short for the TFA.’

‘The what?’

‘Together. Forever. Always. You’re already falling behind. You’re way too easy,’ she said, plopping on the saggy sofa. ‘You gotta let this guy woo you.’

‘Woo me? Now who’s out of touch?’

‘Enough sass. Guys got this primeval need to win us, make us theirs. What’s this Inya gonna think with you running over here, giving everything up for him, huh?’

‘I think he was pretty pleased, judging by his reaction when I arrived.’

‘You think? It’s early in the game. A dame needs to hold back a little.’

‘Sometimes, my friend, I hate you.’

‘That’s just how the fudge melts, honey.’


 ©DeniseCovey2012




WORD COUNT - 397
FCA

Join us for upcoming RFW Challenges:

Friday Oct 5th   - BIRTHDAY MADNESS!
Friday Oct 19th - HOUSE OF HORRORS HALLOWEEN CHALLENGE. This is for Featured Writer. 






27 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Third wheels! There went the romance...

Charmaine Clancy said...

Sally is about to be led into a whacky plan to make Inya work for it. This is a very good idea, what could possibly go wrong? :)

Denise Covey said...

What indeed? LOL!

Yolanda Renée said...

Oh dear I sense a comedy of errors. Alex may be right, but I see Aggie falling in love and Sally changing her mind and leaving her BFF on the beach. Just kidding, but I do love the possibilities! :)

Denise Covey said...

LOL, that is quite a possibility in my quirky head ATM.

Nilanjana Bose said...

I smell something here...and it's not the beach!! Hope the wheels of true love run smooth :)

C.S.H said...

Always listen to your heart!! That's the best advice anyone can give! LOL! Great post Denise! I thought it was kind of funny too.. I love humor!! But I'm not very good with humor myself! :) CONGRATS!!

Sally said...

I can see trouble ahead ....... loving the continuing story.

Anonymous said...

This is JUST perfect, sis! The dialogue sparkles. Aggie's lines are....Aggie.
‘That’s just how the fudge melts, honey’ had me laughing out loud.
As for the story line . . . wow. Just what IS going to happen with this "romance"? You've got me coming back for more!

N. R. Williams said...

Hi Denise
I love it. Fudge melts! Never heard that one before. Three makes for great tension and I can feel it building from across the pond and over the mountains. Well written, great job.
Nancy

Unknown said...

Dear Denise,
What fun, a 'friend' from Sally's old life arrives to stir things up! Anything can happen now!
Well done!
Best wishes,
Anna
RFW No. 45 - 'Oh how I hate my beautiful friend'

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Aggie is a cool character. Loving it!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Like Alex said, I can see storm clouds on the horizon when a back seat driver starts steering this romance! I have my own entry up: HAUNTED BY WHISPERS. What happens when one best friend finds love and the other doesn't?

Raelene Purtill said...

What fun! and what possibilities. Very entertaining.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Denise,

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, the voice. Aggie is a SCREAM! You nailed a NY Chick to the tea ... I should know I was born and raised there!

Oh, how I miss those fast talking girls.

Great job!

Denise Covey said...

I nearly asked you to check the voice but I went with my years of watching NY chicks on TV! Glad she passed!

Adura Ojo said...

Aggie is such a hoot! I wonder what her motives are. You nailed Aggie's talk, Denise. I don't trust her at all. Really enjoyed this piece and can't wait to see how this jiggles the plot... ;)

Scheherazade said...

Very funny. Love the atmospherics and the characters. Tightly written.

Unknown said...

Clever dialogue, and loving that last line!

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Adura. I can't wait either. She's quite a gal!

dolorah said...

There ya go; I was looking for a voice of reason in this saga and now I have it: Aggie. Awesome. I think I like her. She is certain to throw lots of controversy (yeah, I'm stuck on that word tonight) into the love affair.

Aggi is pretty awesome. You did a great job introducing her to the story.

.........dhole

Heather Murphy said...

HA, I had never heard that last line either :)
Aggie seems like a character we could easily love to hate

Michael Di Gesu said...

WIth FLYING colors! Had to read it again for a good laugh .....

Unknown said...

Wow, Aggie is interesting and she has four disegner luggage you said. That sounds interesting to me :D

Francine Howarth said...

Hi D,

Fun read! Just love the Romance Advice Diva's input and fudge quote... ;) Brilliant!

best
F

Erin Kane Spock said...

I loved this. There was real friendship behind the resentment of perfection. I like that you wrote the two women with honesty, without one competing with each other. The friend might be annoying, but her intentions were real. I wanted to see what happened next.

Nas said...

Hi Denise,

Loved reading this! Funny and witty!