Monday 17 September 2012

Genre Favorites Blogfest, September 17, 2012 - Alex J Cavanaugh

Click to read more entries...

Alex J Cavanaugh has the simplest of blogfests, so very easy to enter, and he even reminds you so you don't forget. It sounds easy to pick your favourite genre of anything, but when it comes down to it, it's jolly hard. I still think of favourite songs I didn't think of for his Favourite Music Blogfest. Anyway, they are always heaps of fun and informative at the same time helping us to get to know more about each other in this great blogging community. Here's the guff:


Genre Favorites Blogfest, September 17, 2012

One blogfest, four favorites!
List your favorite genre of:
Movie
Music
Books
And a guilty pleasure genre from any of the three categories!


My favourite genre - Movie

Drama with a historical and romantic element - a la Gone With the Wind - in case you don't know this one (yeah, highly unlikely) - it is a sizzling love story set against the backdrop of the American Civil War based on one of the biggest selling books of all time by Margaret Mitchell, American author and journalist. So many timeless themes...


**


My favourite genre - Music

Industrial Rock a la U2 - I love their lyrics, their music and their overall political, at times 'save the world' style. What other high school garage band is still going strong after all these years? I've visited their hometown on the outskirts of Dublin, Ireland, and I can see some of where their inspiration came from. Seeing some of their album cover settings was pretty awesome for this die hard fan.


**

My favourite genre - Book

Realistic Fiction a la Jodi Picoult - I love so many book genres, there' s very few I don't read and enjoy, but my favourite will always remain big, fat, print books of realistic contemporary fiction exploring the issues humans are grappling with. Jodi seems to keep one step ahead of the NEXT BIG THING and researches and writes a powerful story every year. I also love how she travels to Australia, so far away for a 'mom', on a regular basis, to visit her large fan base Down Under (and sell the odd book or two).

Jodi and me at Noosa when Change of Heart was released

Guilty Pleasure for any category -  Movie - BLACK SWAN

2010 American psychological thriller and horror film

**
I love thrillers in both Movies and Books, but not usually horror. This was the most amazing movie I'll never forget! The horror was handled lightly until the very end...

** I have no right to use the  images ((slaps hand)) marked with ** so I will be deleting them as soon as this blogfest is over! Do be careful of any stolen images you may have used for this blogfest. Hard to source free images for genres.


  • What is your favourite genre of Movie, Music or Book?

Click on the badge at the top to go to more entries...Thanks Captain for the opportunity to wax lyrical about my favourites.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For any writer - prose or poetry - who'd like to write 400 words or less for the next RomanticFridayChallenge, here is the prompt and this Friday is the day! Hope to see you there...



for more details of this and projected prompts, go to the Challenges Page...

TODAY on RomanticFridayWriters we have an Author Guest Post from much-awarded author Linda Gillard. Pay us a visit to learn more about where characters come from...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^


35 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

Gone With The Wind is fantastic! I groaned when my mum put the DVD on, but I was quickly engrossed1

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

The Black Swan was an amazing film. I loved it.

Unknown said...

You can never go wrong with the classics!

dolorah said...

Wait; you got to meet Jodi Picoult? And she posed for a picture? Hang on while I go rewrite my I Hate My Beautiful Friend excerpt.

Now, if you love historical romance, and you're from Australia - I was surprised to not see Thorn Birds on your favorites. But yeah; GWTW was a great movie. I haven't read the book - I hear its better than awesome - but I also loved the movie. The costumes, the characters, the romance; ohh fills my heart.

Love U2 also.

You have great choices Denise.

......dhole

Sarah Tokeley said...

Hiya Denise, hope you're well. You've just reminded me that I still haven't seen Black Swan - and it must be about time for my annual watch/read of GWTW :-)

Nilanjana Bose said...

Hi Denise,

Love GWTW both movie and book, can never get enough! Love Thorn Birds too...that reminded me of another title with "Bird" in it I love...how do you ever choose?? :) Have a great week.
Nilanjana.

Talli Roland said...

This is a great blogfest! Love U2 - excellent choice. :)

Ellie Garratt said...

Great choices. I remember watching GWTW as a teenager and being totally enthralled. I also love U2 but only their early stuff. Under A Blood Red Sky is one of my top ten LPs. And you met Jodi! Wow.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I try to keep it simple!
U2 - excellent choice. (And I can play Beautiful Day on my guitar.)
Thanks for participating in my blogfest!

baygirl32 said...

Some really great choices. I enjoyed Black Swan a lot

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Like Siv said, "You can never go wrong with the classics." I am tempted to see BLACK SWAN but I get scared in the dark! :-)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm probably the only one on the planet who's never seen Gone With The Wind. I do love U2 though.

N. R. Williams said...

Hi Denise
You knew about me, but I had no idea about you. I'm feeling naughty. My sister had a thing for Clark Gable. Great choices.
Nancy

J.L. Campbell said...

Hey, Denise,
U2 is a great group. Like you, I'm all about romance.
No horror for me though.

Unknown said...

u2 is the band that hits it in a good way... i watched black swan and i didn't get it.. then again i did.

Jeremy [Retro-Zombie]
Howlin' Wolf Records: On-Line Magazine

Sherry Ellis said...

Gone with the Wind is such a classic. Love that movie!

M Pax said...

I love historic. I've seen Gone with the Wind so many times and at different ages. I see Scarlet differently each time.

Jai Joshi said...

You know it's been years since I had a chance to sit and watch Gone with the Wind but now you've got me craving Scarlet and Rhett! Love that film!

Jai

Golden Eagle said...

I've read a lot of good things about The Black Swan. It sounds like an interesting movie!

Heather Murphy said...

How lucky that you met Jodi! I love her writing also although I haven't read any in a while. Hmmm...maybe I should.
I love U2 also. I'd love to go to Dublin, especially since I'm Irish

Denise Covey said...

Jodi is always over here and hard to miss her. I love the author talks she does.
Dublin is way cool. Bet it's changed now that the GFC has hit. So many Irish have come to Australia as we need workers and they've lost their jobs.

Trisha said...

I didn't realise that Jodi travelled that often to Australia :) That's cool! I also love her work, and wow is she ever prolific! She's got it made that lady.

I know it's shameful, but I have never seen or read GONE WITH THE WIND. ;)

KM Nalle said...

Gone with the Wind has always been one of my favorites as well. The Civil War is a favorite topic of mine. I really need to get my hands on a Jodi Picoult book. I've heard amazing things about them.

Unknown said...

U2, Black Swan, and Jodi Picoult. We should meet, Denise.

Denise Covey said...

Glad we share interests, D.

Kimberly Gabriel said...

I went to my first U2 concert last summer - it was nothing short of amazing. By far the best concert I'd ever been to. Love them.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Denise,

GWTW... Fab movie! I actually saw it for the first time on the BIG SCREEN when I was 15. AMAZING! Great choice.

SO great to see what kind of music you enjoy. Books I had a feeling I knew and I was almost right. I didn't know exactly which author, but I know you love the "human element" stories.

RFW already! It's been two weeks?! Gee, I just remember writing the last one.

Yes, I will hopefully have something. YOU have lassoed me into Romance. EEK! ME? I keep fight my inner romantic guy, but you seem to bring him out bi-monthly LOL.

Li said...

I enjoy Jodi Picoult as well - my 17 yr old niece is the one who introduced me to them! I haven't joined up with this blogfest, but am enjoying reading people's posts :-)

Yolanda Renée said...

Yes, how could I forget to mention Gone With the Wind, one of my all time favorites. Thanks for the reminder.

Unknown said...

Hi Denise! I've been mia for quite some time. I'm still around, just so darned busy. I can't seem to catch up lately. I really would like to get something together for RFW if not this one, definitely the next. :)

Denise Covey said...

Great if you can Candilynn. I know how hard it is!

Jeremy Bates said...

I enjoy U2 as well. I can't think of a bad song they have recorded and that is rare for any band. I like thriller movies as well, but also enjoy the horror and action flicks.

James Garcia Jr said...

Hello, Denise. My 11 hour day job is making it difficult for me to work my way down the list. *sigh* I had to stop and thank you for the U2 shout-out. Take care.

-Jimmy
http://jamesgarciajr.blogspot.com/

Shannon Lawrence said...

Cool that you got to meet Jodi Picoult! I am always too chicken to ask for a picture when I meet an author.

My Genre Favorites & Guilty Pleasures

mshatch said...

I love U2 and Jodi Picoult, and Natalie Portman was amazing in Black Swan!