Wednesday 6 April 2022

#IWSG April 2022 - #amwriting too much?! Rewrites, new story, new book.

 Hello all!

Time for the April #IWSG. I've been so busy with writing, I hardly noticed March slipping by.


Alex's awesome co-hosts for the April posting of the IWSG are Joylene Nowell Butler, Jemima Pett, Patricia Josephine, Louise - Fundy Blue, and Kim Lajevardi! Thanks ladies!

I'll skip the audiobook question as that's far from my reach at the moment. I know they're popular - not with me - give me a book to read any day, but I know lots of people love them, and for some, it's the only way they can fit reading into their busy schedule. Someone who is blind, or partially blind, must thing audiobooks are the best!

I'll be so interested in reading the posts and see what everyone thinks.

Skipping the audiobook question means I have to think of something else to say. Hmm. 

My biggest faux pas for the month of March was dawdling over rewrites for Betrayed, then finding out it's been chosen for the #iwsgbook club for April. I quickly published the revisions (which aren't live yet), but not the new cover which is not yet ready. 

Maybe my problem is I do too many things at once - as I'm traveling for most of April, I've been getting ahead of myself. I've been writing a #flashfiction for the WEP challenge - A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall, rewriting Betrayed, my beloved vampires, writing my next Paris foodie novel and getting feedback from my critique partners along with actually giving some time to my family and friends, LOL. 

I think that's enough.

Hope you'll join us for the WEP challenge for April which is held alongside the busyness of the A - Z Challenge. Some make it work for them by using the same letter.


A Hard Rain’s Gonna Fall, described as the ‘most idiosyncratic protest song ever written. Bob Dylan, the Nobel Laureate and another 60's icon, wrote, composed and sung it in 1962 when he was only 21. It’s been covered by many artistes including Pete Seeger, Joan Baez and has never really stopped being sung ever since.

The form is modelled on the traditional ballad in the question and answer format, the themes being human suffering – pollution, warfare, isolation, angst. Sixty years after Dylan presented it at a performance at Carnegie Hall, the lyrics are striking in that how relevant they are today, how contemporary their feel and the depth of their appeal. Read more about the song here and here.

Love to read your response to this ever-popular Bob Dylan ballad.





 



35 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Goodness you have been busy. And productive. Which is wonderful.
For too much of the world I think that hard rain is already falling. In torrents.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yes, you are busy! Sorry you were rushed with the rewrites of the book selected for the IWSG Goodreads Club this month.

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

Being productive and busy isn't a bad thing :-) Congrats on Betrayed being chosen for the book club -- I'm reading it this weekend ;-)

Ronel visiting for IWSG day The Difference Between Reading Books and Collecting Books

Natalie Aguirre said...

Glad you got the rewrites done in time. It sounds like you have a busy month. It's great if you can stay productive while you're traveling.

Michelle Wallace said...

Sounds like you're really busy, Denise.
I have the kernel of an idea for WEP: A Hard Rain's gonna Fall - been fleshing it out.
Enjoy the travels!

C.D. Gallant-King said...

I used to love audiobooks when I was commuting to and from work every day. Of course, I haven't had to commute the last two years, which is a big plus, but that means I haven't been listening to audiobooks (or reading as much in general, unfortunately)

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Fascinating to see Dylan's edits, as if he was just one more normal writer. LOL. Happy IWSG Day. You sound so busy.

Jemi Fraser said...

There's just never enough time to do everything on our lists. I'm spinning over here as well. My brain needs time to work out the characters before I take to the computer and there's just no hurrying it along!

kjmckendry said...

I enjoy audiobooks when I'm driving, but I much prefer to read a real book when I'm not in the car.
I don't know how you juggle that many projects all at once! That is amazing!

Rachna Chhabria said...

Glad you got the rewrites done. Love the title Betrayed.

C. Lee McKenzie said...

Being too busy writing to notice a month slipping by means you're on a roll! Good for you.

Olga Godim said...

It's a great thing - your book selected for the book club. Congrats!

Nick Wilford said...

You definitely have enough going on. It sounds like a lovely idea to be discussed in the book club, sorry the rewrites were rushed.

I think we will see some very hard hitting and emotional entries for this WEP. I can feel it in my water.

Denise Covey said...

Yes, Nick, I've written a tear jerker for starters!

H. R. Sinclair said...

That is a lot and very impressive! I don't like listening to audiobooks either, but I do understand people you prefer them or need them. So, if the time ever comes, I'll make one.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I can relate to too busy!

Nilanjana Bose said...

March has whooshed past me too! Yours sounds like a good busy. Gainfully, enjoyably busy. :)
I've never tried audiobooks, though I know they would be easier on my eyes...not the same feel of a book held in hand and how would I reread a passage I liked? I'm sticking to regular books for now.

Denise Covey said...

All the best for your next adventure, Nila! Time's getting close!

Denise Covey said...

Maybe in the future...

Denise Covey said...

Last thing I was expecting, but fun!

Denise Covey said...

Thank you Rachna.

Fundy Blue said...

You're getting lots done, Denise! Way to go! Listening to Dylan's "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" brings back so many memories. Dylan looks impossibly young on the cover of "The Freewheeling' Bob Dylan." His words are as relevant today as back when I was a teenager. The rain is falling hard now, and I'm afraid it's going to get a lot harder. We'll get through it though. We have to. May your writing absorb you and drown out the downpour.

Denise Covey said...

I'm sure audiobooks are a lifesaver for some!

Lori L. MacLaughlin said...

Wow, you are busy. Glad you were able to get some rewrites done. Good luck with all your projects. I wish there would be a time when Bob Dylan's song wasn't relevant, but I doubt that will ever be. We can always hope.

Denise Covey said...

I think Dylan's song will be relevant forever, unfortunately.

Denise Covey said...

Unfortunately Dylan is as relevant today as in the 60s and beyond.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Lee, I"m always on a roll!

Denise Covey said...

I hear you Jemi. Need a few more hours in every day. Good to be busy though!

Denise Covey said...

Love being busy.

Denise Covey said...

Audiobooks must be great for the commute.

Denise Covey said...

I'm so glad you have an idea for the next WEP prompt, Michelle. Love your style.

Denise Covey said...

Everywhere you go, there's wifi these days. It's great.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Ronel. I was so pleased to have Betrayed chosen for book club. Quite a thrill. Now I just have to gird myself in case it doesn't get a great reception.

Denise Covey said...

Nice to be busy, Sue. One of these days...you're right, torrents of hard rain falling which is diabolical.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Congrats for being chosen. And it's awesome you're so busy.