ON WRITING

“It’s very easy to quit during the first ten years of writing. Nobody cares whether you write or not, and it’s very hard to write when nobody cares one way or the other. You can’t get fired if you don’t write, and most of the time you don’t get rewarded if you do. But don’t quit.” Andre Dubus

Thursday, 11 March 2010

Return from the land of the rings

Well, I'm back after an exhilariting 10 days driving around the North Island of beautiful NZ. It was a wonderful way to refuel after a gruelling start to 2010. It was inspiring to visit places where Lord of the Rings was imagined, even staying in a motel under a brooding volcano. Drove nearly to the top and could feel the action flying around! I find landscapes (especially the sea) inspire writing. Maybe that's one of the reasons I love reading Anita Shreve - her settings become a major character. I find it hard to better her Fortune's Rocks with its at times harsh seascape which unfolds with the storyline. I travel a lot, keeping a journal, and it is amazing how ideas pop up in inspirational places.

Good writing everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I love Fortune's Rocks, probably my favourite Anita Shreve novel. You've reminded me it must be time I read it again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortune's Rocks is certainly wonderful. Certainly one of those novels that you can enjoy re reading.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Hit me with your wisdom!