Thursday 1 February 2024

#WEP Get Together and #IWSG February 2024 - What turns you off on writers' blogs?

 Hi friends!

I am using this post for the monthly WEP Get Together and the IWSG. Although WEP is no longer operational, the team is tight and we're still having a meet and greet on the first of the month to share our news. Anyone is welcome to join us.


CLICK on the WEP site to read some inspiring posts!




How's the new year treating you? Any great successes? 

So far my year has made a slow start - I watch the New York news so I know the US has been battered by snow etc. Down here, Australia is battered by floods, cyclones (I got caught in one) and a long-lasting heatwave. Not an auspicious beginning to the year.

I have struggled to write amidst the mayhem. Hot, draining weather is not conducive to writing, which is why NaNoWriMo is in the Northern Hemisphere's winter. 

So my January plans of publishing two more novels has come to naught. One is ready, one is undergoing final tweaking by moi, then I'll be sending it out to betas and then an editor. Going to try a great development editor, Yolanda Renee. We've helped each other over the years. A great friendship which will continue even though we don't have WEP to hold us together. I'm playing back her kindness by showing her shingle.


See link above.


So, brings me to the IWSG question of the month:

February 7 question: What turns you off when visiting an author's website/blog? Lack of information? A drone of negativity? Little mention of author's books? Constant mention of books?

I think the question underlines what we mostly know - authors are doomed if they do, doomed if they don't. We get turned off if an author tries to sell us a book, or talks about it constantly, and if they don't, we think their marketing plan is skewiff. Hmm. Can't win. 

I think my website is unassuming. I have a Page for MY BOOKS which I'm pretty sure no one has ever clicked on. Correct me if I'm wrong. But blogging makes friends, not sales. Which, along with the constant dabbling by google and co which results in people not being able to comment etc, is why some bloggers leave for Facebook and Instagram or other socials. A lot less trouble. Do you agree?


The awesome co-hosts for the February 7 posting of the IWSG are Janet Alcorn, SE White, Victoria Marie Lees, and Cathrina Constantine!

Visit if you can!

See you in March!

Denise

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Heat doesn't do much for writing inspiration.
Still not on Facebook or Instagram, so I'll just have to make do with blogging.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Denise - as usual ... i'm not sure where to post exactly - but I have posted ... and thank goodness I see I can fall under Alex's ambit - by also not FBing or Instagramming - I'll be back to comment anon. Cheers Hilary

Botanist said...

Blogger certainly doesn't help matters when it's a bit of a lottery whether or not it will let you comment. Seems that these pop-out comment boxes work the best these days.

Also, I was shocked recently to find my Norton telling me my own blog was a known dangerous site! I reported the mis-labelling to Norton and they seem to have fixed it, but it all brings home just how much these days we are at the mercy of unaccountable tech behemoths and uncaring algorithms.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

This post is so timely for me today. After many false starts, I have determined to return to blogging for many of the reasons mentioned. I'm a writer, I have a new book out, I understand marketing but don't care for it, and blogging is still my favorite. Definitely too much talk about one's work and one's books is a turn off for me. I've always enjoyed blogging for the social interaction, and too obvious of a sales approach turns me off.

Denise Covey said...

@alex - there are a few hardcore bloggers left.

@ hilary - another fab blogger!

@ botanist - it's ridiculous how hard blogger is making things

@ karen - I'm glad you have a book coming out. Back to blogging!

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
i so agree with leaving comments. I don't know how many times I have visited blogs, left comments, and then come to the famous Google line, comment not published. Please sign in with Google.
Congratulations on working with Yolanda. That is a great decision. I wish you both the best.
Shalom shalom

Nick Wilford said...

Yes, striking the right balance is key. Unfortunately it seems to be a never-ending struggle. Nice that the WEP is still having monthly meetups!

cleemckenzie said...

I've been buried most of January by books, by atmospheric rivers, no power for days...you name it.

Glad the WEP is keeping in touch and enjoying each other even though the writing contests aren't continuing. WEP was a great success, all do to the team's effort.

I've given up on my blog and gone in another direction. Kind of scary, but such a relief not to have to deal with WordPress.

Toi Thomas said...

I didn't know Yolanda did developmental editing. That's cool. I can't speak for other writers, but social media isn't that great for me. I do it so I can say I'm doing something. Every now and then, I do make a connection, so I guess that counts for something.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I'm sorry the heat is keeping you down. And yay for Yolanda! I didn't realize she'd hung out this particular shingle.