Wednesday 4 October 2023

#IWSG OCTOBER 4, 2023 - AI - Will it assist writers or replace them?

Hi all!

Time for another IWSG post. This month I'm very interested in the question:

The topic of AI writing has been heavily debated across the world. According to various sources, generative AI will assist writers, not replace them. What are your thoughts?


Like many writers, I've been following this debate for some time, well, years really. 

AI has come too far for us to stop it, or change it to much extent. 

Sure, there are writers suing ChatGPT for infringing copyright, but that's just a drop in the ocean. There are 18,000 Australian authors and 180,000 international authors who've had their copyright infringed as AI uses our books to teach from. This is going to mean copyright laws will need to be looked at.

I understand the negative view of AI-assisted writing, but I'm afraid it's here to stay, IMO. I've toyed with it, which is why I was interested to read an ARC of an author explaining how to use AI to our advantage.


Only available in paperback


Here's the beginning of Nina's blurb:

ChatGPT: Your Silent Co-author for Successful Romance Novels.


In order to make a living as a genre fiction author, you have to create more books, preferably in a linked series, faster than ever before.

And that is where a tool such as Open AI's ChatGPT can save you days if not weeks of work.

Say Goodbye to Procrastination, Boost Your Writing Speed, and Bring Your Romance Fiction to Life in Ways You Never Thought Possible.


ChatGPT is the writer's secret weapon. Shaping Bestsellers, One AI-Assisted Story at a Time.


You might be shocked that a romance author has already published this book months ago, but there you go.

Remember when mathematics was done in your head, then we developed the scientific calculator, then the computer which can solve a maths' problem in nanoseconds which would take us hours, days, months (me, forever). Taking this attitude, I can see Nina's idea of hurrying that writing along.

It is said that AI-assisted writing is the first real change since Gutenberg invented the printing press in 1440 and it was ready for commercial use 10 years later. The printing press finally democratised writing, printing texts at lightning speed instead of the beautiful, hand-styled pages laboriously created by monks and the like and available to very few. 

Haven't we all benefited from this invention?

So, I don't have a magic wand. Who knows how much AI will take over our writing. Amazon is onto it - you have to state if you've used AI in writing your book and you're limited to publishing 3 a day! Not that Amazon doesn't use AI - they've been using it freely to do all sorts of things data-wise. As have many other businesses.

And AI can do much more than write books - it can write code, create artworks, write essays and non-fiction articles.   

HERE is a link on how to write a novel using the ChatGPT novel template.

MORE USEFUL LINKS:

https://www.geeky-gadgets.com/how-to-use-openai-dalle-3-for-free/

https://www.geeksmint.com/ai-tools/


For those who are dead against AI-assisted writing, I'll point out that it covers:

(1) PLOT AND STORY DEVELOPMENT
(2) CHARACTERS
(3) SETTING

Go on. Take a peek. (I haven't used it yet, but when I get my current 2 novels published without AI's assistance, I will experiment).

AI-assisted writing is only as good as what you feed it. You need to have ideas on the above and ChatGPT will help you refine them. Chat will come up with ideas instantly that would take a human over a week or more.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have used ChatGPT to help me write blurbs. I suck at writing blubs and need all the  help I can get. Once ChatGPT spits out my blurb, I can use it as a springboard to improvement. I must say, Chat is not perfect - it takes a lot of editing to produce your work.

I'll be interested in what you all have to say. I firmly believe AI will assist writers, not replace them.

But I'm ready for probably the majority of writers who hate the idea.

~*~ 


The awesome co-hosts for the October 4 posting of the IWSG are Natalie Aguirre, Kim Lajevardi, Debs Carey, Gwen Gardner, Patricia Josephine, and Rebecca Douglass!


  Be sure to visit the Insecure Writer’s Support Group Website!!! 

~*~

Please join WEP for succulent stories for our October thrill-fest hosted by our very own horror author, Yolanda Renee Stout.

POST October 18 - 20th.


Question is, did I use AI to assist in writing my flash fiction?

Thanks for visiting,

Denise



12 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I have extreme reservations. Which quite probably cements me as a dinosaur.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Writing blurbs for us would be handy. I haven't really played with it yet.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I think it can be really helpful for certain tasks, like writing blurbs. I'm glad you're experimenting with it.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That's amazing she wrote that book already. I haven't experimented with it yet.

Jemi Fraser said...

I've heard several authors talk about using AI for blurbs (we all hate blurbs!). I haven't played with AI yet - not sure I ever will :)

Nick Wilford said...

The fact that book covers romance specifically does make me shiver a bit - that genre is already full of so many established tropes and AI will utterly cement that. But then, many readers want that, and who am I to say that's wrong? I get the idea of using it as an assistant, something to bounce ideas around with, but the idea of rattling out one identikit book after another will be very attractive to some - that statistic about Amazon limiting it "three a day" made my jaw drop! I can't even process that. It can help us with some tedious tasks, for sure - maybe collating research, organizing timelines, but story development - hmm. It's not a black and white issue, and it's certainly not going anywhere, so it's a question of how we manage it.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Like you, I experimented with it, and I think it can be used as a tool for organization or for those pesky blurbs, but overall I found the results to be lacking, and I had to spend hours revising anything it spit back at me. So, I feel like AI will never truly replace us as writers.

Yolanda Renée said...

Not sure. A tool perhaps that I'll probably never learn. LOL Then again, who knows!

cleemckenzie said...

I haven't played with AI yet, but friends have. It's not exciting stylistically, but it's pretty accurate. What I'm wondering is if people are reading less, but Ai is generating more to read...is there a point here? Loved your post as usual.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Lee. I hope people are reading more.

Denise Covey said...

Yes I see it as an assistant to help with those writierly tasks we hate. Just read where it wrote a perfect synopsis for one writer.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Denise - belatedly I get here ... as I was about to write and ask you to write a post for us - but six months earlier you've done it! Interesting to know about - and you've given us a great starter summary with links here - thanks for that - I'll now remember! Cheers Hilary