Wednesday 7 June 2023

#IWSG June 2023 - ...if I could no longer write.

 "You are hereby sentenced to ten years' hard labor."

My fingers clenched into my palms. My heart hammered in my ears. What did 'hard labor' mean? Would I be roused from my bed each morning at dawn in the freezing snow and chain-marched to a field to smash rocks?

"Your imprisonment will be a warning to all those who hold seditious thoughts, who write seditious thoughts. Activists like you will be silenced."

Yes, silenced so dictators like you can wreak havoc on my beloved country, with no oppositional voices heard.

"Every book you  have written, every placard that bears your name, every podcast, every social media post will be eradicated in this political purge. Every dollar you have made from your heinous words will be taken from you as the spoils of crime. What do you have to say for yourself?"

"Nothing," What was the point? Anything I said would be twisted and turned against me. 

"During your imprisonment you will have no access to pens, pencils, paper, iPad, laptop or any other writing paraphernalia. I repeat, your voice will be silenced. You will have ample time to think, to attend reinvention classes and change your ways."

The judge's vicious words flowed over me. I was already in my head, imagining what I would uncover in ten years and write about, exposing this dictator and his henchmen to the world. They could take away what they saw as my 'writing paraphernalia' but they could never take away the most important, the thoughts in my head. 


•.¸¸.•´¨* •.¸¸.•*´¨•.¸¸.•´¨`•.¸¸.•´¨* •.¸¸.•*´¨•.¸¸.•´¨`•.¸¸.•´¨* •.¸¸.•*´¨•.¸¸.•´¨`




Thanks for visiting for the IWSG. Please click HERE to read more entries.



The awesome co-hosts for the June 7 posting of the IWSG are Patrcia Josephine, Diedre Knight, Olga Godim, J. Lenni Dorner, and Cathrina Constantine!


And while you're here at mine, please consider yourself invited to write for the WEP June challenge. DETAILS HERE on June 1.
Do anything you like with the movie challenge, Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Ideas HERE. Guidelines only.


27 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

In other words, you never stop creating stories!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Such a creative answer. I loved reading it.

Nick Wilford said...

I love how you made a flash piece out of this question. Extremely chilling slice of dystopia!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Clever! I may not write consistently but stories are always forming in my head.

Jemi Fraser said...

Love it! I've always written in my head :)

H. R. Sinclair said...

Absolutely brilliant!

Patricia JL said...

So, what you're saying is its a fate worse than death? o.o

A Hundred Quills said...

Wow, Denise! This was an awesome way to answer. Loved it!
Sonia

Olga Godim said...

What a scary piece of micro-fiction. So pertinent to the today's world.

Sarah Foster said...

That was a great story! The writing can never be stopped!

Nilanjana Bose said...

A great answer to a great question! Love the awesome creativity, gripping from the first word! Unfortunately, this is so NOT fictional in many parts of the world right now, disturbing to say the least.

Nilanjana Bose said...

And...cool new banner! :)

Denise Covey said...

Thanks! Book Brush or Canva, I get them mixed up!

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Nila. It came to me when I saw the question!

Denise Covey said...

So true.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Olga. I know it is for sure.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Sonia. I thunk outside the square.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Holly!

Denise Covey said...

Yes, me too.

Toi Thomas said...

I love that your answer is a narrative. This is what I imagine as being the only reason I wouldn't be able to write. Fantastic!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Denise - yes ... our thoughts cannot be stopped - those ideas keep being mentally crafted in our little grey cells. I count my blessings I lived here ... I'd hate to be contained. WEP is floating around creatively for next week - cheers Hilary

Denise Covey said...

Glad you liked it, Toi.

Denise Covey said...

Hi Hilary. Looking forward to next week's WEP.

Denise Covey said...

So true.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Natalie.

Denise Covey said...

Yes, it just came to me.

Shannon Mackle said...

I did everything to get my boyfriend back but nothing worked.

I contacted a relationship doctor i saw online.

I told the relationship doctor everything,

He promised to fix my relationship problem.

I am the happiest lady on earth right now,

Never too late to fix your broken heart.

You can still get your lover back...

Fix broken relationship/marriage...

My relationship was restored as promised,

My Ex-boyfriend came back and promised never to leave me again

Everything happened just in 3 days..

I RECOMMEND YOU TO,,

Robinsonbucler@gmail.com. :-).

Rita Bowen