Wednesday 19 April 2023

#WEP #AprilChallenge - my #flashfiction - The Reunion (#fantasy)

____________________________

A QUICK NOTE FOR BLOGSPOT BLOGGERS INTERESTED IN THE COMMENT DEBACLE WHICH MAY HIT A BLOG NEAR YOU.

____________________________

If you're not the patient type, stop reading and keep on using pop-up. 

Many blogspot blogs have had problems with replying to comments due to some Google messing around months ago and the only fix was to return to the old pop-up type comment where you have to do a roll-call of replies in several sessions - ugh - hate that. 

MY FIX:

- Go to Settings and change back to 'embedded' comments.

- To Reply individually to comments, hover over 'Reply'. It will be live, but not quite - wait for the cursor to show the 'hand'. 

- In a little while (this is where patience is required) you'll sing a song of joy when the little 'hand' shows up. (I go read blogs while I wait for this miraculous event).

- Click on Reply again and you can then reply individually. Woo hoo!

(You can't hurry the process but it works!) For me anyway. Check my comments! Just thought I'd share something I've discovered.

Time to publish my #flashfiction for the WEP Life is Beautiful challenge. 


POST April 19 - 21

 Here I offer one of my few forays into #fantasy. Written many moons ago, I think it encapsulates the theme. 

Enjoy my story. Click on names in my sidebar to read more.




 

The Reunion

 

Charlotte scarcely remembered the long bus ride from Sydney through the rugged countryside, so focused was she on seeing Jack again.

 ‘We’re here.’ The driver pulled his lumbering vehicle to the side of the road. ‘You’re being met?’

 ‘Yes.’ Charlotte slashed her lips with the bright red shade Jack loved.

 Slinging her black tote over her shoulder, she walked carefully down the aisle and thanked the driver who helped her alight.

 ‘Are you sure about this?’ he asked. ‘People who wander into the Australian bush, often never wander out again.’

 Charlotte was the happiest she’d been for years. Her heart thumped in her ears when she said, ‘I’ll be fine.’

 The driver’s eyes roved the empty road. ‘No luggage then, love?’

 ‘Not this trip.’

 ‘There’s no one here to meet you.’

 ‘He’ll come.’

 ‘But who? The houses were bulldozed years ago.’

 Charlotte smiled, turned away, slipped a pill under her tongue. ‘Thanks for bringing me so far out of your way, young man.’ She handed him a tiny red rose from the posy she carried.

 He twirled the flower. ‘I’ll come back. One? Two hours?’

 ‘Thanks, but no. Be on your way now.’

 ‘I really don’t mind.’

 ‘It’s fine.’ Charlotte walked away, tugging her bright red coat around her shoulders. She was relieved when the bus’s engine ticked over. 

~*~

 It was hard going on a track that was no longer maintained, but she made it to Gulliriviere, the tiny settlement where she once lived with Jack and their friends. It’d been named by Irish ex-convicts who were used to plentiful rains in their home country. How flummoxed they were by a river that bore nothing but gravel year after bitter year.

 Leaving the abandoned shacks behind, further into the bush she trudged. Her steps slowed as she put distance between her and the desolation of the little street where houses were sacrificed for a lumber mill that was never built.

 Logging.

 Controversial even then.

 The ‘greenies’ had chained themselves to the trees and no one could budge them.

 As she passed by, the eucalyptus trees rustled their arms in salute.

 Home.

 But home had left. Only the scraggly beauty of nature remained. Where once their cabin stood smugly, framed by the white picket fence Jack built and the fragrant flowers she planted, there was … nothing.

 ‘Jack,’ she whispered, ‘there’s no clue we ever lived here … Oh … but I’m wrong. Look!’

Charlotte creaked to her knees in front of her tatty rose bush, surviving after all these years. She tugged out weedy grasses, revealed tiny closed buds, then inhaled the earthy smell. ‘Not everything’s gone, darling Jack.’ She lay the posy beside the rose bush, memories rushing through her head.

 She recalled her twenty-three-year old self following her love to his rough-hewn shack in the Outback, two hours’ drive to the nearest town and a light plane trip to Sydney. She loved the koalas who lived in the trees nearby, she loved the solitude and yes, she even loved the big red kangaroos who nibbled the green shoots in her garden, looking cheekily at her over their shoulders as they loped away.

 She’d set her easel amongst the trees and paint miniatue bush flora until the sun set on the faraway horizon. Her paintings would continue to hang in art galleries in Australia and the Musée du Quai Branly in Paris long after she was gone.

 Living in the bush had been good.

 Leaving it had not.

 After their cabin had been razed to the ground, they’d relocated to Byron Bay. Plenty of flora for her to paint, but Jack had to fly in/fly out to continue his work on the western Droughtmaster grazing property.

 ‘Hello, Madam Charlie,’ Jack would greet her at the airport. Tossing his duffle bag in the trunk, he’d hurry to the passenger door, wrench it open. ‘Come here,’ he’d growl, kissing her over and over much to the delight of the traffic inspector.

 Their only argument was over his retirement.

  ‘No, Charlotte, I won’t retire. I’m only sixty-five. Our experiment with the new Droughtmaster breed is ongoing. Perhaps when it’s done …’

 

~*~

 Midnight.

 Phone call.

 Frank Mangin, Jack’s co-worker.

 ‘I’m sorry, Mrs Sandilands ... Jack’s gone ... heart attack.’

 The bed caught her as she fell.

 ‘We were working in the study.’

 Garbled noises from her mouth.

 Clunk! The phone hit the floor; Frank yabbered on. 

 ‘Mrs Sandilands? I’m calling someone.’

 ‘No!’ No one could put her back together. 

 ‘Mrs Sandilands! Jack had a message for you. He said, and I wrote it down—um—When it’s time, tell Charlie to come to the shack.’

 ‘Are you sure?’

 ‘Yes. I know your home at Gulliriviere is long gone. But that’s the message.’

 ‘Thanks, Frank.'

 If Jack wanted her at the shack, to the shack she would go …

 

~*~

 Still kneeling at the rose bush in front of the shack’s foundations, she took the gold fob watch from its pouch and let it drop into her palm. She’d bought it years ago to give to Jack when he retired. It was a work of great artistry, with minute patterns painstakingly etched into every chain link. She read the inscription: 

To Jack, my wild Colonial Boy! Yours ever, Charlie. XX

 She brought it to her lips, kissed it.

 The first pain hit.

It's time.

 

~*~

 

The rose bush bloomed with blood-red roses. The fragrance enveloped her as it mingled with sweet summer smells.

 ‘Charlie!’

 With the sweet fragrance of roses whirling around her, she ran through the tall grasses, trailing her fingers over the white, silky flowers. He’d be waiting by the creek just ahead, beyond the grey houses.

 She hesitated at the stand of weeping willows, their lush tendrils like dishevelled hair as they caressed the surface of the water.

 Then she saw him—her Jack—running through the willows, pushing aside the graceful drapery. He hurried toward her—arms outstretched—welcoming her home.

 She beckoned her love.

They gazed into each other’s light-kissed eyes, marvelled at their sun-painted limbs, overjoyed at their reunion. He took the fob watch from her soft, smooth hand, then they strolled away hand in hand across the sparkling water, fading from sight in a gentle swirl of silvery mist.

 Life is beautiful, Charlotte mused.




TAGLINE – Life is beautiful, but death can be even better.

 

©DeniseCCovey2016

 WORDS: 1049

FCA



Be on the lookout for the June WEP challenge -



30 comments:

Yolanda Renée said...

Lovely. So tender and beautifully descriptive. And thanks, you reminded me I forgot the tagline. :)

Olga Godim said...

I love me love transcending death stories. So fitting to this prompt.

Elephant's Child said...

Love like that is something to aspire to...

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Renee. Glad you liked it.

Denise Covey said...

Me too, but I think a fantasy writer such as you would have more experience writing them.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Sue. It is indeed.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Beautiful story. I'd be running there too if I got a message from my late husband.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Denise - stunning ... I loved it - just sad that death came along too ... but they're happy again. Brilliantly told - and I can see the Australian bush and that struggling rose - that will bloom when it wants to ... cheers Hilary

Jemi Fraser said...

Lovely!! Poignant and just lovely :)

Jamie said...

(Blogspot is being weird right now, keeps signing me out. This is Jamie of Uniquelymaladjustedbutfun- in case it boots me again!)

What a sad story! I wondered what the pill was that she took. Under the tongue made me think a heart medicine or maybe stomach trouble. Didn't think about life-ending. I wonder if Jack actually intended that for her? Sounds like she could support herself, with art in museums, but maybe that doesn't pay as much as I imagine? Or maybe there's more to this character that she ends it this way? Unless it's maybe the only way to be "buried" and left there? Like... no one would scatter ashes out there? Maybe no one else could find that place. Well, I guess it was peaceful at least.

N. R. Williams said...

I remember this story. One of my favorites. I got COVID and have been too sick to write or do anything all month. So, I apologize for missing the WIP challenge.
Nancy

cleemckenzie said...

"Ahhh," she sighed. Nothing gets me more than love transcending death!

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Lee. I'm glad your reaction was 'Ahhh', not 'what's going on here?' I know fantasy isn't my bag, but I enjoyed the write.

Denise Covey said...

Hello Nancy. I'm sorry you have Covid. What a bummer. You take care. Hopefully we'll see you in June. Will miss you this challenge.

Denise Covey said...

I'm sorry I confused you on so many fronts, Jamie. Fantasy is not my genre, but I had fun with this and obviously in 1,000 words couldn't answer all the questions raised. (It wasn't meant to be sad - just the opposite.) She had reached the end of life, knew she was about to die - 'it's time'.

Denise Covey said...

I'm glad you thought so, Jemi!

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Hilary. Glad I took you on a trip into the Australian bush and the struggling rose.

Denise Covey said...

I know. Me too. Glad you liked it Natalie.

A Hundred Quills said...

Such a beautiful story of everlasting love, Denise. And narrated so very delicately.
-Sonia

Beth Camp said...

What a wonderful love story, beautifully shaped with Australian imagery and history. I was pulled right into the emotions of the lovers; the fantasy was woven into the heart of the prompt: life is beautiful in its many layers!

Nilanjana Bose said...

No words. Just wow! Loved it right up to the tagline.

J Lenni Dorner said...

I have heard old stories about Russian widows throwing themselves on their husbands' funeral pyre to avoid separation in death. And of Egyptian pharaohs having people buried alive in the crypt with them. I imagine this story might be in the same category, in a sense. Though it feels like significant time passed between their deaths. So perhaps it's more like animals that return to their home to die? A culturally significant desire to end while at a certain place.
At any rate, this was beautiful. I could picture the place. Great work.
Proof of Existence, book two in my dark urban fantasy series, is out this month. I hope you'll check it out.
And please don't miss the amazing giveaway on my blog. Act fast and enter now!

J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Reference& Speculative Fiction Author, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, and Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge

Denise Covey said...

Thanks JLenni. Yes, a significant amount of time passed between her husband's death and hers. Not like you surmise. It was her returning to their special place at his suggestion.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Nila. Glad you liked it!

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Beth. Glad you were intrigued.

Denise Covey said...

Thank you Sonia. We like to believe love is everlasting, don't we?

Damyanti Biswas said...

Such a lovely story of love, transcendence and tenderness, Denise.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Damyanti.

Kalpana said...

What a beautiful story of love and a life lived together. Poignant and gentle - I loved reading it.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Kalpana. Thanks for visiting. Glad to see you at WEP again.