Friday 13 April 2018

#WEP #flashfiction, my story, LOVE SUCKS. Vamps in Paris.

Hello all!

How's your April going? I hope those participating in the A-Z Challenge are having a ball. I've enjoyed reading many of your stories, but this coming week it's all about WEP (Write...Edit...Publish) for me. The prompt is Road Less Traveled and it's a mixture of prose and some sort of poetry.

Maybe it's because I'm working furiously on my paranormal romance trilogy at the mo', but my mind flew straight to a funky little flash I wrote for Romantic Friday Writers (400 words) in 2015. The characters have haunted me, LOL, so I dragged them out of their coffins, dusted them off, and let them tell a little more of their story. They will probably find themselves on a page or two in a flash fiction book I intend to write one day!

I'm early with my post, but a few have begun to post so I'm anxious to get my little ole story on the page. Hope you enjoy...



CAST OF CHARACTERS

Top left: Drac-Kulah, Top right: Dracula
Bottom left: Ruby Black, aka Snow White, Bottom right: Doc Marten.


 When you’ve lived for as long as moi, you crave change. Sometimes, you’ve just gotta find another way, another road. I’m done with sleeping all day in a room with velvet drapes drawn, hiding from you-know-what, microwaving blood when the street food lets me down. 

What’s a vamp to do all century? 

I know what you’re thinking:

Go haunt the streets, you sicko,
Suck the tourists dry.
Drink a few homeless. 
Who’s gonna miss ‘em?
Who's gonna cry?

Been there, done that. I need to shake things up a bit. I need another path. One less traveled.


As the sun dropped down from that oh-so-sicko-blue sky, I exited the hotel and sashayed down Montmartre’s glitter strip, feeling ever-so-hipster-ish.

Black cap sideways,
Baggy black trousers,
Black T-shirt under my
black shiny coat.
Hiding my black heart.
You get that I dig black, right?

Love Montmartre. My current Parisian area of interest. Well, current, doh. It’s been my favorite for a coupla hundred years. Is about the only suburb not razed by that sicko Baron Haussman. I like old things. Love Montmartre.

Tourists gawking,
Homeless hawking,
Blackboard artist chalking:
"ETERNITY".

We’re on the same page, honey-childe.

Then suddenly, next door to that garish pretending-to-be-old reinvented mill, Moulin Rouge,


I see it: ‘A VENDRE’ – (‘FOR SALE’) if you haven’t mastered the fourteenth-most-popular language in the world. 

But I digress. What happened next? Hang with me. Or not. 

My synapses zapped.
My planets aligned.
A contract to sign.

Oh, happy day! Time for a moonwalk! Slip. Slide. Slap.

I’ve accumulated a tidy sum over the centuries, you know, so I can easily afford Parisian real estate. Compound interest compounds I read somewhere. No business degrees 400 years ago.

So before you could say,

‘More blood.
I’ll take it to go.
Make it quick, you know?’

The business belonged to moi. If you don’t know what moi means, pfft. Work on your language skills or get outta here.

The little bar was perfect -- vamp chic –

Blood-red carpet,
Black walls, (or they will be)
Red bar counter,
Black halls.

Suited my little black er, heart. 


The pictures clinched the deal –

Horror-movie posters
Murder and mayhem
on every wall.
Go me.

Buying this joint means I’ll no longer have to prowl the mean streets. The gendarmes can move on. Fight real crime. But now I got me my own gloomy little hidey-hole. 

Let ‘em come to me.
Bar flies are tasteee
Full of good ole whiskee
au go go.

‘Ya not going to run this place by yaself, are ya?’

I jumped from dreaming of bar flies and admiring my Dracula poster which was so like looking in the mirror – Just kidding!


Black cloak,
Super handsome face,
Super handsome long locks
I’m ace!
Not that dude.

But like, wow! This chicka! Will you look at her! Just promenaded down my 15th Century wonkedy-wonkedy stairs! Right into my Venus fly trap.

Flowing black tresses,
Lush curves poured
into little black dress,
Black fishnet stockings. 
Oh so shocking!

‘You offering your services, er, miss?’ I licked my lips. Tried not to look too obvious.
 “Ya, moi, who else? Ya blind or somethin’? I thought those black glasses ya wearin’ were, ya know, to hide ya red eyes.’
 This chicka was something else. If only she knew. Something more serious than the old chanvre (look it up!) going on here. 
‘You look, like, twelve years of old. Shoot me some ID.’ I sunk into my oversized red leather chair.
 She whipped out the plastic.  ‘Looks can be deceivin’, busta. Ya look, like, nineteen, but ya might have baggy eyes behind those shades.’ 
 She winked at me, cheeky minx. I took them off so she could admire my handsomeness.
 I flipped the ID back at her, watched it twirl in its arc and land in her white little dewdrop hand. Fake as, who cared? 
 I licked my lips, again. Gotta stop that. I ran my tongue around my teeth, getting ready for the big suck. I want this girl-child. She’s def on the menu tonight.
 ‘What d’ya think, Monsieur Slim Shady? I bin workin’ bars for many a yaah. Know sum tricks, I do.’
 ‘It’s not that kind of bar. It’ll be a clean operation. And speak English or French or something. You’re a cross between American Western and Eliza Dolittle.’
 ‘Forgit the pop culture, Pop. A clean operation?’
 ‘Drinks, tapas, music…’
 ‘Rap? Classical? Country? What do French people like?’
 ‘Never mind. Too long a story for now. What’s your name?’ I clasped her black-gloved hand. ‘I’m Drac Kulah.’
 ‘Really? A dark character.’ 
 ‘Really.’ I hope she digged the deep, dark tone.
 ‘Well I’m Ruby Black, but I go by—’
 ‘Let me think. Snow White?’
 ‘Right on Drac. Hilaarrious. Aren’t we a pair!’
 ‘You’re hired. No funny business or you’ll be out on your pretty butt.’
 ‘My butt’s pretty? I don't think ya s'posed ta say that anymore.’ She twirled.

Black lacy dress flowing
like waves
around her thighs.
A tantalizing glimpse of
shapely snow-white leg and
a flash of lacy black knickers.
But her Doc Marten’s are kickers.

‘That’s not all I got.’ She sidled up and grabbed me around the neck, her gloved fingers tugging my black 'do.
 Who needs to go hunting? This tasty morsel’s mine. Right here. Right now. A gift from er, the gods. An entrée before the main.

Woo hoo to me.
Boo hoo for her.

Taking her in my steely arms, I aimed my sharp little popping-down fangs at her jugular, then…wow! Where’s her throbbing pulse! Where’s my drink?
‘Ha, I knew ya were the Real Slim Shady, you dark, evil, blood-suckin’ sicko.’
 I knew the minute she walked in, but you probably think I’m lying. As if a vamp would lie. I’ve learned a thing or two in 400 years. I know everything. I’ve read all the literature on the planet. Just wanted to see how this new road played out. Like that Robert Frost guy said in a poem I read on the internet, "two roads diverged". Then whammo!

WORDS: 994
FCA


Hope you had as much fun reading this as I had writing it. This is a WEP (Write...Edit...Publish) post for the April WEP challenge, Road Less Traveled. After leaving a comment please click on other participants in my right-hand sidebar with a DL (Direct Link) after the name. This means they've published. Or travel over to WEP and sign up there.

WEP CHALLENGE FOR APRIL....ROAD LESS TRAVELED



48 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Denise - that was brilliant ... just loved it and oh yes you could do so much with this sort of 'road less travelled' work ... amaaazzzing ... congratulations - loved it ... and the photo image at the beginning to set it all up - cheers Hilary

Sorry I'm not joining you ... but certainly couldn't compete with this imagery: loved it!

Elephant's Child said...

Huge smiles. And giggles. From this sicko.
And it reminded me of a movie I saw many years ago called Psychos in Love.

desk49 said...

It was a fun read but more
Teeth I'd like to see
Maybe she'd be a lycanthrope
The blood and fur would fly free

A struggle for survival
Throughout this full moon night
Who’d win that battle
Will be known at first light.

desk49 said...

nice mix of two styles

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Hilary. You will be greatly missed!

Denise Covey said...

Glad you liked it, Sue. Psychos in Love sounds about right, LOL! Will have to check it out!

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Ellis! You've given me some ideas to take this tale forward.

Botanist said...

I can certainly feel the fun you had with these characters! No wonder they wouldn't rest until you let them out to play.

Denise Covey said...

So true. I love them.

Deniz Bevan said...

Oh, that was great fun, Denise! Love the way you mixed the poetry/songs with the prose.

Nilanjana Bose said...

Brilliant, Denise! I love the voice - absolutely spot on, and such a smooth read. Also love the poetry you embedded into the narration, naturally :) Overall just a superfun post! The best stories are written when the author is having fun...

Sandi said...

I'm here for the Road Less Traveled.

Ha! Totally knew that girl was a vampire!

Is that Bloodwine??

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi Denise! LOVED IT! What fun! Campy, twisty, familiar, and dishy! Definitely take it to the next level....

I'm joining in the fun and posting a snippet from my NEW Memoir! SUCH FUN! Already wrote 10K.... Nice to be writing again! AND joining the WEP for this challenge.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Michael. Knew you would love it. So fun to write. I don't want to leave these characters. They are so alive to me.

Loved your memoir post! Looking forward to reading more. Great that you participated in the WEP challenge again. Hopefully, you will return.

Denise

Denise Covey said...

Thanks for coming by Sandi. Isn't that bottle of vampire blood funky? A great find on my last shopping trip LOL!

Denise Covey said...

I could have used your input on the 'poetry' Nila. Perhaps I will ask for your help if I continue this story. And, yes, I had so much fun!

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Deniz. Glad you liked the mix!

Fundy Blue said...

What fun, Denise! Your story flowed along with humor and rhyme! Glad the lady got the last drink!

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Fundy Blue! Yep. A smart lady is Snow White.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks! You know me, Denise, I always resurface and post something for the WEP if the challenge speaks to me. This was perfect since I am so IMMERSED in this new memoir, i KNEW it was perfect and that you would enjoy it.

Would love to send you the story for a crit if you have the time. Let me know. As for you question... no, I am not a ghostwriter. It will be my first PUBLISHED work. We have very high hopes for it and I am very certain we will nab an agent for this one. Kim is just relaying the stories to me and I am adding my descriptive magic and quirky sense of humor. We grew up only five years apart and basically in the same area. I am very familiar with Queens NY since my dad was born and raised there. I have dozens of first cousins who still live there and I know the "lingo" well...ESPECIALLY at that time.

cleemckenzie said...

Three cheers for the vamp and the author! Loved this.

Donna B. McNicol said...

What an absolute hoot to read!! Loved it!

Donna B. McNicol|Author and Traveler
A to Z Flash Fiction Stories | A to Z of Goldendoodles

Yolanda Renée said...

Those two should have many more adventures. Loved the voice too! Great work, Denise.

Denise Covey said...

Glad you enjoyed it Donna.

Denise Covey said...

I hope they will, Renee.

Olga Godim said...

Love it. Those characters stand alive from the computer screen. And the photos are fantastic, custom-made for this story.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Olga. Glad you like it.

Denise Covey said...

I'm glad you cleared up the GHOSTWRITER thingo. I'm a bit shady on that. You are the perfect person to write this memoir! I'm sure some agent will LOVE it!

Love Affair with Food said...

I liked the story!

Denise Covey said...

Thanks.

L.G. Keltner said...

Wow! There's so much to love here. The setting, the tone, the voice! Enjoyable from beginning to end. Excellent!

Deborah Drucker said...

She really turned the tables on him and she is very flirty. I don't think I would want to wander into that bar late at night though unless I was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. What is that interesting little image that looks like chess pieces? Nice dark characters,Denise.

Pat Hatt said...

haha two as one, great ending indeed. Even got some rhyme a flowing. Fun characters and fun showing.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks L.G.

Denise Covey said...

Me either, Deborah. That is an Eiffel Tower and people blog divider.

Denise Covey said...

Ha Ha Pat. Can't let you have all the rhyming to yaself, can I?

D.G. Hudson said...

While reading this, I felt like it had a beat going beneath the words, also wanted to snap my fingers. . .the words and the flow seem to do that. A fun piece with just the right words. And Montmartre is the perfect setting.

Christopher Scott Author said...

An entry with great flow and pace, about immortals who need a change of everything.

from:christopherscottauthor.wordpress.com

Denise Covey said...

Thanks D.G. I worked hard for the beat, so pleased you found one! Yep. Montmartre it is for me every time!

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Christopher.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Denise, I was just over at the WEP site and when I clicked onto Christopher Scott's blog, DG Hudson's came up. Perhaps you can shoot an email to Christopher to let him now....

J Lenni Dorner said...

Snapping my fingers enthusiastically for this work. It should be read in coffee house in the Village (perhaps in the late 90s). Well done. Bravo.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks so much Michael. It had gotten all mixed up. Fixed now. Christopher will be wondering why he has no comments!

Denise Covey said...

Thanks j lenni! Scary.

Adura Ojo said...

Such a yummy read, Denise. As always the POV's voice was spot on. I smiled all the way, reading through. Your poetry complemented the prose rather well. Same lighthearted tone.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Jo-ke! I'm sure the poetry could have been improved with your deft hand! But it was fun.

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

wanna PEACE
of Me??
-Jesus

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

PROVE! TO! ME!
anyone! anytime!
A N Y W H E R E!!
this finite existence
is more XX-citing
than eternal
Seventh-Heaven...
and I'll gitcha
a pitcher-O-beer
Upstairs, gorgeous babe.
No charge!
Im buds withe Owner...