Wednesday 22 July 2015

Want to read exceptional books for free? Self-publishing with IngramSpark. Some writing advice from Graeme Simsion, author of The Rosie Project.

Hi there!

Here are some of the things I've learned recently. Perhaps they won't be new to you, but they are things I haven't seen talked about much/ever on the blogs.

NET GALLEY

If you're an avid reader/reviewer like me, buying books can break the bank, so who doesn't look for a way to save money? Don't get me wrong, I love to buy blogger books and those special books by favourite authors that sit proudly on my bookshelves and get read more than once, but there are many books that are available to try before you buy or...don't.

I first came across NetGalley when I was roaring to read a new book which hadn't yet been released in Australia, so the author pointed me to NetGalley.  That book was in my hands, er, on my Kindle, in a flash.

What's it all about? Well, you have to fill out a form, implicitly agreeing to review or post on your blog etc about the book you read for free in e-book form. That's no hard ask. So you request titles as you see them -- they send emails of recent releases (example below) -- then you read and when you get around to it, review somewhere. You can also ferret through their copious lists anytime. They'll all be fairly recent books, not old titles.


Just today I requested the latest from Pulitzer Prize winning author, Geraldine Brooks called The Secret Chord, and a steamy romantic suspense by Michelle Somers, Lethal in Love. Some titles are more readily available for readers in certain countries, so both of these titles favour Australian readers, so I might be in with a chance.

Don't be shy! They want readers!

SELF-PUBLISHING MADE A LITTLE EASIER

Okay, so I'm thinking of self-publishing a romance series set in various locales -- Paris, Italy, Australia, then themes -- war etc. I've certainly written enough stories to keep me publishing for some time! There's so much out there about self-publishing my brain hurts, but I clicked when I read this guest post on C. S. Larkin's blog by the wonderful Jessica Bell.

I hadn't heard of Ingram Spark. Have you? Looks like they are a real possibility with the exceptional reach they have, releasing your book practically everywhere books, both print and ebook, are sold.

ADVICE FOR EMERGING WRITERS

I read a chat with Graeme Simsion, the author of The Rosie Project and The Rosie Effect, both best sellers. His advice to budding writers was:

"Work hard. Seriously. It's a profession, and you wouldn't want someone operating on your brain with the experience level of some writers who expect to be published. There are more jobs for brain surgeons than successful writers.
And...from the start of your writing career, write for publication--essays, short stories, whatever. If you get published, it'll help your credibility when you go looking for an agent or publisher for The Novel. It'll make you finish things to the best of your ability instead of saying 'good enough'. And you'll get the thrill of publication and of writing complete pieces as you learn. It'll keep you going."
Here is a link to a Writer's Digest article where debut novelists tell their individual stories.

Of course, I can't do a post these days without mentioning Write...Edit...Publish (WEP). I'm pretty excited to be getting this online writing community up and running again with blogger bud, Yolanda Renee. Our next post is all about Flash Fiction. Goes live in a couple of hours. Be sure to catch it. It'll help you to get that writing brain in gear, so you'll be all set on your road to publication.


  • Do you use Net Galley?
  • Have you used Ingram Spark? 
  • Any goss to share?



30 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I have such a backlog of books to read right now! Which I am working on...

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Net Galley is great for readers, but it is so expensive to get a book listed there.

Sandra Cox said...

I'm glad you mentioned Net Galley. My publisher uses it, but I really didn't understand how it worked. Thanks;)

Yolanda Renée said...

My publisher uses Net Galley too, I have a list of books on my TBR list with reviews owing that it's ridiculous. Love the information on Ingram Spark. I don't even fully understand Kindle publishing, but I'll have to get it all clear soon. Two books to put out this year.

DEZMOND said...

I've just announced a week or two ago that ROSIE PROJECT will be made into a movie :) My publisher is looking to buy it so I might even end up translating it.....

DEZMOND said...

PS can't stand Geraldine Brooks.... I had that unpleasant task of translating her PEOPLE OF THE BOOK and it was such a disgusting political propaganda, trashing nations she doesn't even know.... utterly ignorant and vile woman... the type which spreads evil with her stupidity and lack of education...

Denise Covey said...

Dezmond, awesome if you get to translate Rosie. Sorry you don't like Geraldine Brooks, which is obviously putting it mildly!

Pat Hatt said...

Heard of Net Galley but never knew how it worked. Have to keep on keeping on with writing indeed and making it the best we can.

Chrys Fey said...

I couldn't do Net Galley, if I did I;d be drowning in books. I already can't keep my head above all of the ones I need to read now. lol

As for self-publishing your romance series...DO IT! You know I'd be a fan. :)

Stephen Tremp said...

I'm wrapping up Alex's latest and greatest, three months after the fact. But don't tell him that.

Bijoux said...

Wow! And I just thought the book was boring! I really liked Year of Wonders, though.

Deniz Bevan said...

Don't feel badly! I've just started his first! Was excited to buy all three as a Kindle deal :-)

Deniz Bevan said...

I like the idea of Net Galley but I'm still not used to reading on screen. Wish I could get printed copies!

Unknown said...

I'm definitely going to look at the Jessica Bell article - I'm pretty desperate to find a way to get novel onto Amazon, but no give up my rights to the cover, price-setting, etc. Smashwords is good for little stories, but they don't have the reach of Amazon for a real book campaign. I don't do Net Galley since I'm already up to my neck in fellow authors' books that I want to read and have agreed to review. This was a great post, Denise - thank you!!

Nick Wilford said...

I've heard of Net Galley, but had no idea how it worked. I do have enough on my plate to review! I hadn't considered the full gamut of self-publishing options, so that's an interesting article.

Denise Covey said...

I'm with you there Deniz but unfortunately no print.

Denise Covey said...

I hope the Amazon thingy turns out Lexa.

Denise Covey said...

Getting reviews out there is hard work.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Chrys. It's happening soon.

Denise Covey said...

Publishing is a steep learning curve Yolanda. Glad your publisher uses Net Galley.

Stephanie Faris said...

I'm set up on Edelweiss so that if I request a digital ARC of any Simon & Schuster kids' or middle grade book, it automatically goes without being approved. So I'm able to get those and review them the last Friday of the month before they come out. Everything else, I have to wait until it comes out and buy it...which is fine. I enjoy supporting my fellow authors, especially since many of the books I read are by my favorite bloggers!

Denise Covey said...

That's cool Stephanie.

cleemckenzie said...

I signed up for Net Galley a while ago,but I've only taken advantage of it twice. I can't keep up with the reading, reviewing, writing AND family. I do agree that it's a fabulous way to get great books.

Denise Covey said...

I keep it to a minimum too but it is great to get the big names.

Nilanjana Bose said...

Hi Denise,
.
Excited to know you are going to self publish. Hope I will be somewhere where I am able to grab a copy :)

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Very useful and interesting information.

Best wishes

Denise Covey said...

I'll track you down Nila! Thanks for your support. Enjoy your trip. :-)

Michelle Wallace said...

Hi Denise
I'm a little late getting here.......
So you've made the decision - self-pubbing route...
That's exciting and scary too!
I can't wait to read your novel!

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Michelle. Very kind of you. I'm starting with a short story. Still may try trad pub for my novels. :-)

LindyLouMac said...

I have used Net Galley in the past but did not find it was of much use to me.