Wednesday 2 November 2022

#IWSG post - NOVEMBER 2022 - #NANOWRIMO - To do or not to do that is the question.

 Hello there!

Here we are again. Another month gone by, chock-a-block with writerly activities for many of us. 


The awesome co-hosts for the November 2 posting of the IWSG are Diedre Knight, Douglas Thomas Greening, Nick Wilford, and Diane Burton!


I'm sorry I didn't get back to those who commented here last month, but unfortunately my husband had a bike accident and ended up in hospital with a broken back. Not fun. He is slowly recovering, but our lives have certainly been disrupted and will be for some time. 

So, I'll answer the suggested question today - November is National Novel Writing Month. Have you ever participated? If not, why not?

I was an enthusiastic NaNoWriter years ago, but no longer do it. I mean, the  idea used to be that you cranked up the laptop on Nov 1st, and started writing, preferably without a plan. Since then, writers use it more specifically to finish a book, edit a book, plan a book etc etc rather that what the original expectations were. That's all fine. Many things start off one way and end up being something else.


Yeah, this was my whaling novel, Ruby. Had a look at it the other day ... and cringed.

I have a total of 5 rubbishy books I penned in a frenzy in my early NaNo days. I doubt I'll ever get back to them. Maybe I could take the story ideas from them, as the ideas are good, but the writing is what NaNo writing was once supposed to be - rubbishy first draft.

So no, no more NaNo for me. The only thing I remember fondly was it was a great excuse to hit the laptop every day and pen over 1,000 words. And connecting with other writers. But I can do that without NaNoWriMo.

Have a great month.

Oh, and while you're here, WEP finished an awesome October challenge and is primed to have their final challenge in December. Join us if you feel like following our dreamy prompt -



Denise



21 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Very sorry about your husband! Prayers he is recovering quickly.
I basically did it twice, won once, books from both efforts. But no more.

Denise Covey said...

@alex. Yes I decided it wasn't for me, but it took me long enough. I like to edit as I go.

Elephant's Child said...

Look after yourself while you are looking after your husband.
My thoughts and hopes are with both of you.

A Hundred Quills said...

Hi Denise. Wishing your husband a speedy recovery.
I missed WEP in October but I hope to be there in December. I love the whole vibe of WEP. So cheers to you for that. Your thoughts on NaNo resonate.
-Sonia

Natalie Aguirre said...

So sorry about your husband's accident. I hope he recovers quickly. I don't do NaNo either.

Geros said...

Hi Denise

Hope your husband is recovering -

Write anything, this November ? As usual, life keeps getting in the way -

including serious family illness.

Rubbishy books ? Bet they're not.

And maybe I'll keep working on that draft...

Esther. live just below Scotland,

Douglas Thomas Greening said...

Prays for you and your husband and family.

I understand the gentle that originally started NaNoWriMo stepped down from the non-profit and that since then the 'rules' have changed. I've read that many people do pre-work, outline, plan, and so on and that even finishing something that has already started is considered a win. Feels like it has lost something in the transition as well.

Thanks for sharing and posting this month.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

So very sorry your husband broke his back.

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
I hope your hubby is recuperating well. It will take some time before he gets back to normal, so hang in there.
All the best.

Shalom aleichem,
Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

Nick Wilford said...

I often think NaNo is best for beginning writers looking to establish a habit. Most of our first books are rubbishy first drafts we don't go back to, November is as good a time to do them as any.

H. R. Sinclair said...

Oh wow! I'm so sorry. My prayers are with you and your husband.

cleemckenzie said...

That accident had to be terrifying! I wish him a speedy recovery.

Congrats on yet another Challenge that looks a great theme. Sorry I've been MIA lately, but I've been traveling and now just catching up with all the things that are past due.

Janie Junebug said...

I'm so sorry about your husband's injury. In 2009 I broke my back in five places. The pain was excruciating.

Love,
Janie

Denise Covey said...

Hey @Sue, Sonia, Nat, Geros, Douglas, Diane, Pat, Jemi, Nick, Holly, Lee, Janie. Thanks so much for visiting me and your good wishes for Geo. Wow, Janie, 5 places. Geo is only in one vertebrae but it is shattered.

Olga Godim said...

I never participated in NaNo. The mandatory daily word count feels more like a job than the fun I want my fiction writing to be.
My best wishes for you and your husband. I hope he's on the way to recovery.

Denise Covey said...

@Olga, I'm with you on NaNo. Thanks for your good wishes for Geo.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Denise - ah now I know what happened ... how very difficult - but at least he's recovering and I do hope he'll heal up comfortably. I can understand your lives have completely changed and will do for a while - all the very best.

I'll be thinking of you - while I once again don't do NaNo ... but I do get to do WEP - which I (now!) enjoy ... thanks for your encouragement and admin of the entries etc ...

Take care and with thoughts - Hilary

J Lenni Dorner said...

I think of it as a shift in priorities for a month. Puttin writing ahead of most everything else.

I hope your husband is doing better and that you're getting all the support you need to support him. Back injuries are terrible.

"I write to give myself strength. I write to be the characters that I am not. I write to explore all the things I'm afraid of." —Joss Whedon

J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Reference& Speculative Fiction Author, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, and Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge

Nilanjana Bose said...

Never did/do NaNo, but always joined in the Bahrain writers' retreat for it when I was there! It was great fun and a day or two of intense, nonstop writing. Got lots of writing done there, some for the WEP too :)

However, I don't feel a coherent novel can come out of writing by wordcount targets. And most writers I know (including me) write everyday anyway.

Keeping George and you in my thoughts and sending heaps of healing energy.

Denise Covey said...

@Nila, @JLenni, @Hilary. Thank you all for your good wishes and for visiting me!

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's accident. I sincerely hope he recovers well. All best wishes to you, Denise.