Wednesday 5 August 2020

#IWSG August 2020. Jemi Fraser on surprises in writing a genre.


Hi all, friends and participants in the IWSG monthly blog hop!

This month, I'm excited to feature Jemi Fraser, long time blogger and friend of WEP, onto my blog today. I've watched Jemi burst onto the scene with not one, but four books. Her wonderful Dancing with Dementia, is doing well on Amazon. Now she's rapidly releasing 3 romantic suspense stories, an inspiration to me and I hope many others whose finger is hovering over the PUBLISH button.


Click HERE for more IWSG posts.

Alex's awesome co-hosts for the August 5 posting of the IWSG are Susan Baury Rouchard, Nancy Gideon, Jennifer Lane, Jennifer Hawes, Chemist Ken, and Chrys Fey!


I've asked Jemi to answer the IWSG question which she was happy to do. Now I'll go back to reading my copy of Reaching for Normal...

Thanks for inviting me to your blog today, Denise!!

August 5 question - Quote: "Although I have written a short story collection, the form found me and not the other way around. Don't write short stories, novels or poems. Just write your truth and your stories will mold into the shapes they need to be."

Have you ever written a piece that became a form, or even a genre, you hadn't planned on writing in? Or do you choose a form/genre in advance?

For me, this is a fascinating question!

My current Bloo Moose releases are Romance/Romantic Suspense stories. I certainly didn’t start out writing that way!

My mom had/has a HUGE disdain for anything romance. From a very young age, she encouraged me to read anything and everything from the library - except romance. Or Trash as she liked to call it.

I found so many other books and genres to adore, I didn’t feel the lack. I devoured mysteries and when a high school teacher introduced up to Fahrenheit 451, I found speculative fiction. Then fantasy, spy thrillers, and so much more. I actually didn’t read my first romance until well after my kids were born.

When I started writing, I experimented for a few years with a variety of genres and age levels, looking for my voice and my style. Looking for what truly fit me.

And I found it in romance mixed with some danger and mystery along the way.

Happy endings are important. I’ve taught enough years and met enough struggling families to know that. Everyone needs to believe that happy endings are possible. All my longer stories need those happy endings.

In the case of my shorter fiction, that dark side of life does often take over. Which does make for a fun balance in my writing.

So, yes, I think the form often finds me. How about you?




Welcome to Bloo Moose, Vermont where love is worth the risk! Small-town contemporary romance with an element of suspense. Each book is a stand-alone.

Reaching For Normal
She’s no damsel in distress. He’s no Prince Charming. But if they don’t team up it won’t be only wolves that’ll be dying.
Amazon.com.    Amazon.ca.    Apple.     Kobo.    Google Play.

Reaching For Risks
One Reno List for the B&B. One Risk List for herself. One sexy retailer who should be the last one she wants.
Amazon.com.    Amazon.ca.    Apple.    Kobo.     Google Play

Reaching For Everything
Love means nothing in tennis. Can he prove to her that love means everything in life?
Amazon.com.    Amazon.ca.     Apple.     Kobo.     Google Play

***
Jemi Fraser writes both fiction and nonfiction. Her nonfiction work focuses on the ways that dementia has impacted her family. Her fiction work varies from contemporary romance to suspense and flash fiction. Years as a teacher have taught Jemi that life is short and that happy endings are a must.

Jemi lives in Northern Ontario, Canada where snow is always a topic of conversation and the autumn leaves make everything better.

Website                   Facebook                Twitter.              Instagram     
Amazon                  BookBub                 Goodreads.        Pinterest



Thanks Jemi! It was wonderful having you here today. I hope to see you at WEP this month if it will fit into your busy schedule! We always look forward to your #flashfiction.


41 comments:

Botanist said...

I thought the answer to that question was easy - I choose to write SF and never really considered anything else. But did I choose that, or did it find me through my earlier reading habits that included lots of genres but predominantly SF? I don't have a good answer to that!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Same with me, Jemi! I need those happy endings in my novels... my short stories are different, though. Anything can happen ;)

Hi Denise.

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you both.
I am an eclectic (greedy) reader and had never stopped to consider whether the writer chose the genre or the specific piece demanded it. What a fascinating thought which I will take away and chew over.

Susan B.Rouchard said...

Thank you Denise for your post and inviting Jemi. Thank you Jemi for the happy endings, we sure need them.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Denise - interesting to read the post and to see the comments above - and I'd have never have considered how authors chose their genre ... fascinating - my brain is just not in those circles. Dancing with Dementia will be so helpful to many ... laughing helps so many. While Jemi's Bloo Moose stories will make great reads ...

I'll see you for WEP ... but in the meantime take care and stay safe. Hilary

Denise Covey said...

Yes Hilary, every genre has its uses. Whether to entertain, to inform, to educate...as you do.
Looking forward to seeing you at WEP. You stay safe and well too.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Funny how Jemi never thought she'd write romance. I think it's great when we push ourselves to try something new like Jemi did.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We all need happy endings, especially right now.

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks again for hosting me here today, Denise - and for your kind words! I'll be at WEP for sure - looking forward to the stories from this prompt!

Jemi Fraser said...

Botanist - SF is such a fun genre. So many of my favourite books & movies are SF!
Lynda - I'm not surprised we are so similar!
Sue - it is interesting!
Susan - we sure do!
Hilary - we do need to smile and laugh - especially with dementia in our world!
Natalie - I'm such a sucker for trying new things - makes life fun!
Alex - we certainly do!!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I might write in several genres but there is always romance involved.

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
i write romance, romantic suspense, and women's fiction. I love writing stories where there is hope and love and also a future ahead.

Shalom aleichem,
Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Loved your answer to the question! It's so interesting how we all continually evolve as writers as our life twists and turns. :)

cleemckenzie said...

How great to see Jemi here today! I just started her book and it's funny, poignant and so entertaining. Glad she pursued writing about romance.

Patsy said...

I didn't really plan to write romance either, it just sort of happened.

Jemi Fraser said...

Diane - love is a key element, isn't it?
Pat - that Hope is what it's all about!
Joylene - Nope! Mom never warmed up to romance :)
Sheri - it's fun to see how we evolve and change. Life is interesting!
Lee - thanks so much! It's a fun genre to write!!

Jemi Fraser said...

Patsy - it's funny how that happens, isn't it? It's a fun genre!

Chrys Fey said...

I'm glad you found what you were looking for and what fit you in romance, after not being encouraged to read it when you were younger. All of my books have romance in them. I just can't help it. ;)

Nick Wilford said...

It's funny how you ended up incorporating romance after being warned off it. Maybe it was a sort of rebellion but you're right, we do need a bit of light to offset the dark. So many books in other genres have a romance element somewhere even if it's not advertised.

Diane Burton said...

Jemi wrote: I found it in romance mixed with some danger and mystery along the way. That's me, too--Whether my stories take place in this world or beyond. Even my MG adventure has a hint of romance. Can't help it.

Jemi Fraser said...

Chrys - with her dementia, Mom doesn’t know I write, but I think she’d love the stories - as long as she skipped certain bits!
Nick - could definitely be a bit of a rebellion - I never did fit the mold :) So many books do have that romantic element!
Diane - I’m with you! In real life, we’re all looking for connections so it makes sense it shows up in a lot of stories!

Olga Godim said...

Love your thoughts on happy endings, and I totally agree with you. I try to give all my characters their happy endings. If they don't often happen in life, they should at least happen in fiction.

Carol Kilgore said...

Totally agree about happy endings. Most of my novels have them, but every once in a while, the story says maybe not just yet. If I try to push it, the whole thing seems off. The sad thing is that I never know this until the final chapter. Sigh.

Jemi Fraser said...

Olga - Exactly! HEAs are important!
Carol - you just can't push the story! Wish they'd let you know sooner though!

Mason Canyon said...

Jemi, I, for one, is glad you decided to give romance a try. Your series is amazing - great suspense and happy endings. Can't wait for the next story.

Denise Covey said...

There is more of a write-to-market kind of vibe happening today, but I think we predominantly write what we love to read.

Denise Covey said...

Hi Lyn! Ah, those HEAfters.

Jemi Fraser said...

Mason - Thanks!!! Gage and Rebecca are just waiting on another round of edits! I hope you'll enjoy their story too :)

Denise Covey said...

Glad Jemi gave you something to think about, Sue.

Denise Covey said...

It was my pleasure to host Jemi. Susan. Hope all goes well with you.

Denise Covey said...

Wonderful to have you Jemi. I'm glad you can find time for WEP.

Denise Covey said...

Yes Pat, your stories are always uplifting.

Denise Covey said...

I'm enjoying it too Lee although the thought of all that snow makes me shiver.

Nilanjana Bose said...

It's actually a fascinating question to ponder...why do we blanket label romance as trash?? Like all genres, it has its classics and badly written stuff...Best wishes for the success of the books!

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks Nila! Mom never could get that idea - I think that prim British background was showing!

dolorah said...

Hi Denise. Hope life is treating you well and the book you are reading is entertaining.

Lovely to see you here Jemi. Sounds like you have found your writing and publishing night. Great when things just work out well togeth. Your mother has forgiven you for reading and writing "trash" I hope. Good luck th the next releases.

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

Nice to see you here, Jemi! Denise, thanks for the reminder about the WEP. Someday soon I hope to participate again... maybe this will be the month, if inspiration strikes soon!

Jemi Fraser said...

Donna - thanks! Sadly, Mom's dementia took over before I told her about the books. I'm just pretending she's proud! :)

Rebecca - thank you! :) Hope to see you at WEP!

Beth Camp said...

Yes! Happy endings are even more important these days of coronavirus. Your mom's encouragement spurred wide reading, though I'm glad you found your voice in choosing what genre you write. My mom was somewhat the same -- I discovered romantic suspense when I babysat the neighbors!

Arlee Bird said...

"Bloo Moose" caught my eye here. It took me back to the early eighties when I was on the road traveling in a blue van that we called "The Blue Moose". I put a big moose decal on the side. It was a great van, but each van I got after that one was even better.

Though I have read a few romance novels it certainly hasn't been my go to genre. They weren't particularly steamy like what I might deem trash, but they were kind of sweet and fun. Some mystery added would definitely be more to my liking.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

plammers0110 said...

thank for share it is good ประวัตินักกีฬา ประวัตินักกีฬา