Wednesday 7 November 2018

#IWSG question -- A question of creativity. WEP winner! New Challenge!

Whoa, November 7 already, at least in Australia! I know Americans are busy voting. Luckily, in Australia voting is compulsory, so no need for all that 'get out and vote' hype I see on CNN.

So, today I'm voting for creativity.


Top Site for Writers

November 7 question - How has your creativity in life evolved since you began writing?

Alex's awesome co-hosts for the November 7 posting of the IWSG are Ellen @ The Cynical Sailor, Ann V. Friend, JQ Rose, and Elizabeth Seckman!

Please visit!

Writing, like most crafts, involves bucket-loads of creativity. Some say writers are born, not made. Those same people say there's no need to stack your shelves or Kindle with craft books. Do you agree? Sure, some parts of writing come naturally, but we can't write a ramble like the classic authors could back in the day. Readers these days demand a lightning-fast plot, virtually non-stop action, and adherence to the tropes of a genre. These don't come so naturally. 

What is left for our creativity?

I was recommended a great book - Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love and several other tomes.

The first question she answers in her book is:

Q: What is creativity? 

A: The relationship between a human being and the mysteries of inspiration.

Gilbert is interested in creative living as a whole. We perhaps think of writing first, but chances are, we are all creative in other ways -- I like to draw and would love more time to pursue watercolors, I like arts and crafts, I play guitar -- but when you're fully into writing, many of these creative outlets take a back seat. There's only so many hours in a day and all that. 

As Gilbert says: I believe the central question upon which all creative living hinges: Do you have the courage to bring forth the treasures that are hidden within you? 

Good question.

Especially when it comes to writing. Are we writing truthfully? Or are we writing carefully, censoring our words constantly for fear we'll find no audience for our stories if  we actually write what we'd like to write?

Along with courage, Gilbert says you need Enchantment, Permission, Persistence, Trust and Divinity.

What do you think? That's a lot.

Would love to hear your opinions.

1. Do you have a favorite writing craft book?
2. Do you indulge in a pasttime that encourages your creativity?
3. What other creative forms does your creativity take?

Meanwhile, 

Image result for vote for creativity image


Thanks for coming by.

Denise

And we're already thinking of the WEP/IWSG Challenge for December. Think about joining us!


Go HERE for ideas!

Huge congratulations to Kalpanaa for winning the October WEP?IWSG!


Thanks to all who took part and amazed us with their creativity!

BREAKING NEWS!

WEP and IWSG are holding a contest for the February WEP theme!

Rules: Submit your idea for a WEP February theme by November 12to admin@insecurewriterssupportgroup.com. Nothing U.S. culturally bound. Should have wide appeal.

Prize: Feature in the December newsletter for the winner. And, of course, the winning theme will be the official February WEP theme and accompanied by a stunning badge!

DeadlineNovember 12. Winner announced in the November newsletter on November 28.




36 comments:

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Denise!

Terrific question this month, but I chose to vent with my post. LOL I like Gilbert's questions and statements about creativity. You know a few of my other outlets, but I have MANY: drawing, painting, interior design, photography, graphic design, illustration, sculpture, make up artist, hair stylist, furniture refinisher, sewing, knitting, and crocheting, and several different crafts like stain glass, macrame, Christmas crafts, quilting, etc, YES... i have done all these things at one point or another. Sadly, I don't have much time for many of them. But I will get back to them when life dramas slow down. LOL.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That would change things if everyone here had to vote.
Bring forth the treasures in you... I like that.
And you play guitar as well? That's more of a focus for me than writing these days.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I agree with the notion of creativity being a way of life, but like you, most of my other creative outlets took a back seat when I got more involved in writing. I'm beginning to believe that's a mistake. Focusing entirely on ONE outlet, even if it is writing, puts a damper on our creativity, kinda like reducing a potential symphony into a one-note wonder. Might be better to mix things up from time to time.

Ann V Friend said...

Blessings!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Writing truthfully or writing carefully - that is a good question to ask ourselves.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for the book recommendation. I haven't been reading craft books for awhile but need to get back into them. They really can help improve my writing. I really like Plot and Structure by James Scott Bell (think I got his name right).

Computer Tutor said...

I do think mankind is inherently creative. How else did we come up with something like the wheel? Or farming?

cleemckenzie said...

Rollo May wrote The Courage to Create and that was an interesting book also. Congratulations on having the courage. Of course, endurance is a good companion, too, but since you have both, you're doing great.

Toi Thomas said...

I think there has to be a balance. Reading craft books is important but if the focus is too technical than the creativity can be stifled. For me, if I read one technical/skill book, I then need to then read two creative or inspirational books.
Like you, I have many creative interests but many are often neglected so I can focus on writing.

The Cynical Sailor said...

I've heard so many good things about Big Magic. I really need to check it out one of these days. I like the idea of needing enchantment as a writer.

Mandatory voting is a great idea. I'm amazed at how many people in the States don't vote but still complain about who won.

Cheers - Ellen

Nick Wilford said...

I think natural talent plays a part but so much comes down to hard work. Craft books are great but we also have to pick and choose what works for us. That's about trusting our instinct.

Pat Hatt said...

I write how I want, what comes, comes. Screw careful. Of course not going to write nasty or anything, but treading around stuff if it is relevant, nah.

Olga Godim said...

I agree with Gilbert. Writing, as any other form of creativity, demands lots of courage from the creator. If we don't have that courage, our creation - a story, a painting, a piece of music - would be false. It wouldn't resonate with the others. Only the truth on the deepest level resonates. Thanks for mentioning this book. I must read it.

Fundy Blue said...

So what happens if you don't vote in Australia? That stopped me in my tracks! Right now I am sick of all things elections. I've found that reading books on writing periodically helps me improve as a writer, and that's something I constantly strive for. I haven't read any of Elizabeth Gilbert's books. I really must ~ thanks for the recommendation. Happy writing in November, Denise!

Denise Covey said...

Yes I know you are a great creative. I could add many more to the list but didn't. Will visit soon!

Denise Covey said...

My party trick used to be House of the Rising Sun, but I'm very rusty!

Denise Covey said...

Yes, we need to allow ourselves more time to be creative in other ways.

Denise Covey said...

I think our work would be better if we were more honest.

Denise Covey said...

Yep. James Scott Bell is awesome, but my favourite is Dwight Swain's Techniques of the Best Selling Writer upon which many later craft books are based. I've just ordered Jack Bingham's Scene and Structure. Apparently he modernises Swain's techniques. But I think it all comes down to Motivation, Action, Reaction.

Denise Covey said...

Good point. Mankind is genius when he puts his mind to creativity rather than war.

Denise Covey said...

Thanks for such kind words Clem! I think we share some attributes! Thanks for the book recommendation.

Denise Covey said...

Sounds a familiar tune. Not all craft books suit all writers. There's those that come along at just the right time.

Denise Covey said...

I've never known anything different. But when you have less than 20 million eligible voters, you need every vote. And it's a privilege.

Denise Covey said...

Yes, not all craft books suit all of us. I buy those that help my weakness - plot and structure. Certainly doesn't come naturally to me.

Denise Covey said...

I know you do Pat. But really not everyone is as brave.

Denise Covey said...

You'd love it Olga.

Denise Covey said...

You get fined! With such a small population, we need every vote.
Gilbert writes like she's breaking open her heart. She got blasted by some for her Eat Pray Love, but it was her story of her search for herself. Most of us wouldn't have been so honest.

Nilanjana Bose said...

I really haven't read any craft books, sad lacuna. But I'm addicted to MOOCs :) does that count? I haven't read Gilbert. Yet. I remember another one you mentioned a while back - Donald Maas? Thanks for the recos!

Denise Covey said...

I dare say from my experience with MOOCs it would be better perhaps depending on the way you learn. Gilbert isn’t a craft book, she’s inspirational. Donald Maas is still hard to beat.

Nas said...

Hi Denise,

We had elections this past Wednesday. And it was not compulsory, so you know what it means. People don't make an effort to vote yet look forward to results.

And craft books...you should see my shelf!

المتوكل على الله said...


شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض
شركة غسيل كنب بالرياض
شركة تنظيف ستائربالرياض
شركة تنظيف سجاد بالرياص
______________
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالرياض
ارخص شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بشمال الرياض
افضل شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالرياض
______________
شركة نقل عفش بالرياض
شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض
افضل شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض
ارخص شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض
______________
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
شركة كشف تسربات بالرياض
كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
شركة كشف تسربات المياه فى الرياض

Michelle Wallace said...

I LOVE Big Magic and purchased a paperback for myself. It's choc-full with pearls of wisdom. Great book!
I too am a creative soul. I've always been drawn to creativity in its various forms. Although I'm an avid reader and lover of poetry, writing is the one outlet that I've only paid attention to within the last 7 years or so. I've been involved with sewing, crocheting and music/piano/singing from an early age.
I still want to try beading and mosaics. But there's no time.

Chrys Fey said...

I must've read your mind because Big Magic is our IWSG book club (Goodreads) selection for December and January. The discussion will be on January 23rd. I hope you pop in, answers some questions, or even just share your thoughts/review. :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Oh gosh - I'm glad others have got here as late as me ... and I see I perhaps should do something re Goodreads etc ... re Chrys comment.

I am definitely not creative - yet of course we all are in our own ways ... I'd better get on and do something else! Take care and have a good WEP/IWSG ... as you know I'll be back in the New Year - cheers Hilary

Botanist said...

I don't bother much with craft books, but I do believe that creativity alone isn't enough. You need to hone your craft in order to let your words (or paintbrushes or other tools) become a natural extension of you. Then you can express your inner vision without the mechanics getting in the way.

I don't see learning the craft as a barrier to creativity, as long as you recognize it for what it is - a tool, not a rule. The question is - who's in charge? You or the "rules"?

Delhi Satta said...

To help your plants grow faster, pre-heat the soil in your garden before you begin planting. Most plants love warm soil, satta king play bazaar and this will allow them to grow quickly. One of the easiest ways to pre-heat your soil is to cover it with black plastic, such as garbage bags or a tarp.