|Note the Digger's slouch hat behind the bikkies. Photo from today's Australian newspaper.|
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 125g butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Sift flour into a bowl. Add oats, coconut, sugar and lemon rind. Stir to combine. Make a well in centre.
- Place butter and golden syrup in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high (100%) for 30 seconds or until butter has melted. Stir to combine. Combine bicarbonate of soda and boiling water in a bowl. Add to butter mixture. Stir to combine. Add to flour mixture. Stir to combine.
- Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls. Place balls, 3cm apart, slightly flattened, on prepared trays. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, swapping trays halfway during cooking, or until golden. Stand on trays for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve.
- Recipe from Taste.com.au, a fab Aussie recipe site.