ON WRITING

“It’s very easy to quit during the first ten years of writing. Nobody cares whether you write or not, and it’s very hard to write when nobody cares one way or the other. You can’t get fired if you don’t write, and most of the time you don’t get rewarded if you do. But don’t quit.” Andre Dubus

Thursday, 5 November 2009

Questions to ask yourself about your novel

Day Three 3/11 - Tuesday - Words 2874 (9336)
Day Four 4/11 - Wednesday - Words 1771 (11,107)


A very useful little set of notes came my way courtesy of my local Nano region. They are good to check every now and then.

1. Character
  • How can I make the actions/reactions of the characters believable?
  • Have I provided enough background to understand the characters?

2. Setting

  • How can I make the setting contribute to the tone, theme, plot of the narrative?

3. Plot

  • How can I make the plot believable?
  • Do the characters have a significant role in the plot?
  • How can I make the plot fresh and original?

4. Theme

  • What larger issues do I want readers to think about as a result of my novel?

5. Dialogue

  • Is the dialogue natural?
  • Does the dialogue develop the characters and plot?
  • Does the dialogue show action?

Notes from Book in a Month, by Vl Schmidt and Writing for Emotional Impact, by K. Iglesias



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Hit me with your wisdom!