Wednesday 24 June 2009

Working hard

I write like I read - I have multiple projects on the way at any one time. My bedside table always has a good variety of fiction, non-fiction and travel mags. Addicted to all. I'm really amazed that I've found an Anita Shreve I didn't like - Testimony - too many points of view and time changes. I don't mind a complicated book, but I found I couldn't get attached to any of the characters as it was too confusing working out who was who and what they were on about and the chapters were so short. This sounds like a book review and I guess it sorta is, but I'm just sharing my amazement as I love Anita Shreve's works, her beautiful poetic prose and her ability to keep you in suspense. Love the Pilot's Wife and Fortune's Rocks especially. Ah, well, you can't win them all. I actually love Jodi Picoult to bits too, and really didn't like her Change of Heart (it has a different name overseas) as it reminded me of The Green Mile. But, how hard those ladies must work! Jodi, a book a year or less! Wow! If I can write one in a lifetime I'll die happy! How about you?

4 comments:

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I'd just like to get published. I'd write whatever they flippin' liked.

It's horrible when you get a book from a writer you enjoy, and find that you don't like it. Such a shame.

HelenMWalters said...

I think I'm a bit like you in that I always have multiple projects on the go. I'd love to finish novel number one - but with all my other bits of writing, I'm my own worst enemy!

Denise Covey said...

Yeah so hard to know what to focus on. Ah but it's usually fun isn;t it?!

Unknown said...

I haven't read that one, but I know what you mean. When you love an author, then suddenly one fo their novels doesn't come up to scratch, or isn't what you imagined it was going to be.

I'm sticking to one thing at the moment, trying to finish my CBBC script. My mind is always, always dipping into other projects, though.